Talk

Advanced search

Ouija boards

(158 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:25:51

I saw part of a film on TV the other night where a group of teenagers did one of these. I know it was TV and things do get exaggerated but it made me think.
I have never in my life done one of these and don't know of anyone that has either, but I'm curious. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on doing one either!!!
Just wondered if anyone out there has experience of this and what they thought.
I find it hard to believe that something like that can have such power.

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 21:28:03

I did one for a laugh a while ago - the glass moved but im sure someone was moving it - i do believe in spirits and ghost but i didnt believe in that!

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:31:05

That's how I would feel I reckon. If the glass moved I would think someone was doing it on purpose.

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 21:35:28

i thought it was - they say theres been loads of mysterious deaths after people have done them - im not so sure i believe it myself!

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:39:42

It's bizarre to think that something like that could have such powers.

WigWamBam Thu 23-Jun-05 21:42:47

OK, call me gullible if you like, but I would never touch a ouija board, because of something that happened to one of my mother's friends 30 years ago. I wasn't there when they played with the board, but I did see a lot of the things that followed. I was 12 at the time and still remember it very vividly.

The friend's two daughters and two of their friends made a ouija board from letters written on paper, and started messing around with it. The glass started spelling out "death" over and over again, they all denied pushing it, and the glass moved faster and faster. They got frightened and took their hands from the glass, and it carried on moving on its own, still spelling out the same word. One of the daughters tried to grab the glass but she couldn't, and she had to knock the table over to stop it.

For weeks, at the same time every afternoon, the house would go stone cold (this was the middle of Summer, during the school holidays), and an ornament on the mantlepiece would fall to the floor. I saw this myself more than once. One awful thing after another happened to this family, including the sudden death of the husband, until one day my mum's friend told us that the ornament had thrown itself across the room and hit her head. I don't know what the truth of that was, but she certainly had a nasty head wound from something. My mum told her friend to burn the ornament. She did, and I swear that ornament screamed as she burned it. Their bad luck stopped.

How much of that is auto-suggestion, I don't know. But it freaked me out enough that I would never, ever go near a ouija board, even now.

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 21:46:00

WOW! Scary stuff! I do belive in ghosts and poltergiests i have seen ghosts but have been lucky enough not to have a poltergeist there evil.

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:46:06

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 21:46:45

You've seen a ghost???? Wow. Not sure what to think about that subject either. Never seen one myself. What did you see?

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 21:49:06

Both my mum and me talk reguarly to my great grandma - she has predicted the sexes of all mine and my sisters kids right. and often tells us things. i have seen a few others not people i know and they dont stick around like grandma. there not scary as i ave been brought up with knowing alot about them.

basketcase Thu 23-Jun-05 21:49:25

wow -wwb, what a post. No wonder you won’t go near them.
I am very fickle with my beliefs concerning the paranormal, one minute sceptical and the next half convinced.
I have had my fair share of stundenty drunken nights playing at scaring each other rotten with home made oujia boards, always convinced that someone was moving it. TBH, that was half the fun - guessing who was getting wound up and scared and who was the cuplrit - the other half of the fun enjoying the excuse to cuddle up to a dishy bloke...
Long time ago - not sure i would want to mess about with one now. Having children has made me more wary and less likely to take "risks" for kicks IYKWIM

madmarchhare Thu 23-Jun-05 21:52:29

When I was at school we cut out letters and were all huddled round in a corner trying to scare each other (nothing happened at all), a teacher walked in and we all got letters sent home about it!

oatcake Thu 23-Jun-05 21:54:38

I know what you mean sparkler1, I am very intrigued but would not go there... might like to observe... in someone else's home...

I've been having some goings on in my house since easter and 2 out of the 3 times something's happened has been when ds has not wanted to sleep and been a bit hyper...

1. found my uni photocopying card and id badge which I thought I'd lost in spain in september last, in the front pocket of my late mum's bag which I'd used on at least 2 different ocassions since coming back from hols.

2. when ds was hyper for the first time, I got to bed at 10.20 and heard breathing next to me for a few seconds until I excitedly realised that it was not my own breathing whereupon it stopped. told dh the following day who said "yeah, I think it's about time we scattered your mum as there were noises in the kitchen and a pen jumped off the unit after you went to bed"...

3. last month, ds was hyper again at around 10pm and we were watching 'most haunted' on digital when there was a bump upstairs. ds shouts "the balls dropped mummy" and when I went upstairs, his bayonet fitting lightbulb had fallen out of his ceiling light onto the floor.

I'm hoping it's my mum so I'm not scared...

charleepeters Thu 23-Jun-05 21:58:16

Ghosts/spirits are not scary they cannot hurt you as they cannot physicaly touch your or any solid object so dont be afraid. Poltergiest on the other hand can get nasty but are very rare.

Im not sure what a board has to do with things i suppose it may so if its done properly and not like i did with a bunch of stoned kids having a laugh!

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jun-05 22:05:59

Not a good idea. These are not a toy. They can open portals into the spirit world and invite in some very unpleasant 'guests', including malign ones. I'd never, ever touch one of those things.

They're like smoking - the best way to stop is never to start.

SaintGeorge Thu 23-Jun-05 22:08:35

It isn't the ouija board that causes anything, it's the people using it. Usually if anything happens it is because at least one of the participants has some latent psychic ability, even if they are not aware of it.

Not to be played with as a toy, despite the fact it was invented as a parlour game.

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jun-05 22:10:33

Exactly, SG! My gran, although Catholic, was a Mayan Indian who still held many of her peoples' beliefs and warned me off things like this. I'm glad I took her advise! No thanks to those. If you want to play a game try Cranium.

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:13:29

I would definitely stay clear to. There is something in me though that is definately curious though. As mention before, the paranormal is something that fascinates me too - although I have not had any personal experiences.

SaintGeorge Thu 23-Jun-05 22:15:06

I was typing at the same time as you expat, hence similar comments without copying

I believe in spirits (I'm a witch with a mum who's a medium, so difficult not to ) and have no problem with people using a board if they know what they are doing but they are difficult to control and, at risk of repeating myself, not something to be played with.

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:15:56

Saint George how do you know you are a witch?

SaintGeorge Thu 23-Jun-05 22:17:19

I practice witchcraft

Seriously, it's a spiritual thing. I searched for a long time for my spiritual path and when I found this I realised I was home IYKWIM

SPARKLER1 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:20:06

It's so fascinating. Shall have to find out more another time - off to hide from thunderstorm I'm a nervous wreck!!

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jun-05 22:20:24

Too right, SG. Ditto tarot cards. They need to be handled by folks who know what they're doing or are under guidance and learning from those who know what they're doing.

My gran was a 'witch' herself. My dad used to laugh and say she was a 'witch doctor'. I think it was a hereditary thing b/c her sister was as well. She could heal things and no one could figure out how and she wouldn't tell - except to her eldest daughter when the daughter got well into her 30s. She survived Spanish Flu and both typhoid and typhus during WWII.

TBH the older I get the more 'experiences' I tend to have and I don't like them. I used to have them as a kid and I think my gran guessed b/c she said one time 'then don't have them.' So I try to ignore them.

And I'm very glad I never played with Ouija boards.

lucy5 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:21:24

I did one as a teenager and Dracula was called up, some one obviously didnt know he was a fictional character and then proceeded to spell out transylFania. Durrrrrrr! As a grown up I wouldnt want to get involved.

normannomates Thu 23-Jun-05 22:25:21

Expat - I have two sets of Tarot cards but don't use them now. I went to see some tarot card readers in the past and two if them told that I had a gift for the cards and that I should practice but I don't actually trust my own judgement - would loke to learn from somebody who knows though - would never touch a ouija board though - especially now that I have DD - there rae enough bad things in the world.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: