Talk

Advanced search

Help me make the playroom cooler!!!PLEASE!!

(19 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 21:03:40

OK - I work (mind children) in my conservatory.

It was unusable today - 39 degrees

What can I do - the air con didn't work I could buy another unit - but I do need it to work

Do I get roof blinds?

Help I need advise??

misdee Thu 23-Jun-05 21:08:03

reflective roof blinds will help, add a ceiling fan if possible, and an air cooler.

all things my sis should have and doesnt.

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 21:09:17

ceiling fan no good - DH would loose his head

How much will blinds cost and who do I buy from?

misdee Thu 23-Jun-05 21:11:31

errrrrrrrrrr no idea. just going on what people use i ntheir conservatories (i dont have one).

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 21:53:31

Anyone else know anything about blinds

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 21:55:03

don't you have to get them specially made to fit your windows?

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 21:55:14

you might be better off with an air cooler

stitch Thu 23-Jun-05 22:04:14

ceiling blinds very very expensive from what i hear.
try using blackout stuff. or and this is what i would do just for theis heatwave, is cover with paper. or material to block out sunlight. also draw curtains if you have them to block out sunlight.
open windows to get a breeze going. you need two lots open to get a through breeze.
fan. a cheap cooler is to wet a bed sheet, wring it dry, and place the fan behind it.

stitch Thu 23-Jun-05 22:04:56

some sort of tarpaulin, or heavy sheet on the top of the roof, that is outside...

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 22:09:56

That sounds difficult - but I like the idea of putting something on the roof

I thought I should just paint the roof inside white - but my dad didn't think the paint would stick

I don't think I'm up to DIY blinds/drapes/??

All the window blinds are closed

blodwen Thu 23-Jun-05 22:16:59

You can get white spray on stuff used to keep greenhouses cooler. Withstands rain etc., but brushes off in Autumn (or so I understand). Try a garden centre?

stitch Thu 23-Jun-05 22:17:20

dont paint the glass. do something temporary right now. even paper and sellotape will be fine. but have a serious rethingk about using it as a playroom, because every year we have this sort of weather for a week at least.

my sis in pakistan had this problemin the atrium. they put a heavy sheet type rug type thing down on the glass, which reduced the temp to 35ish. then they got a big massive airconditioner. the sort that isnt hole in the wall. dont know what is called. also, marble floor washed regularly. made it lovely.

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 22:29:34

Apparently after a google I need Bio Coolglass - but I need a stockist

Caroline5 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:29:54

We have the same problem - conservatory too cold in winter, too hot in summer! Looked into blinds, but they were far too expensive (£000 and we have a very small conservatory!) Am currently trying to grow a honeysuckle bush over the roof - it is about half way up one side. Tbh it hasn't made much difference to the temperature, but does give some shade!! Sorry not much help, but I've been in this house 7 years and still haven't solved it!

miggy Thu 23-Jun-05 22:35:49

We have same problem, south facing conservatory gets far too hot. This year after 5yrs bit bullet and got blinds, pinoleum ones from Appeal. look lovely and are supposed to reduce heat by 60%, tbh I dont think it has made a jot (was going to say blind!) bit of difference and cost about £3500 for approx 12x12 room.
Dont get pleated ones, esp double thickness, flies crawl in between and die and you can see their little dead bodies silhouted for ever!

KatyMac Thu 23-Jun-05 22:36:57

Well it's £2.98 from B&Q and I'll need 3 packs....but is it any good?

Caroline it's lovely in the winter - we have underfloor heating

Caroline5 Thu 23-Jun-05 22:45:13

Certainly worth a try at that price!!

robinia Fri 24-Jun-05 18:17:22

We had pinoleum blinds with reflctive backing in our old conservatory and they did make a difference - conservatory was no longer unbearable - just rather hot and stuffy. (Blinds were about £2.5K for 12'x10' room). Also had a fan which oscillated which was good. Best tip is to make sure the blinds are all in position before the sun gets on to the roof or windows. It's too late if the sun has already got in. Also don't put conservatory on south facing wall. Have got a ceiling fan in current conservatory and opening roof vents but can't really notice that these are better than our old blinds (cuurent roof blinds just your average material type ones with no reflective backing. Current conservatory is north east facing so you wouldn't think it was a problem but it gets the sun on it first thing in the morning and no window blinds so heats up very quickly.

I think the only really efective solution is a good air conditioning unit.

coldtea Fri 24-Jun-05 18:34:13

My conservetory is 22x12ft & without the air con unit it would be unbearable.

The unit was expensive at £1,400 but it is fantastic, not only does it keep the conservetory cool during the day, it also helps cool the downstairs of my house. In the winter it blows out hot air & warms the room in minutes. Best purchase we made.

We use our conservetory all year round & heating/cooling has never been an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now