Talk

Advanced search

web designing for cash - advice needed please

(9 Posts)
Kelly1978 Thu 23-Jun-05 11:03:22

My dp works in IT, so out landlord asked him if he wanted a bit of work designing a website for him. dp works long hours so I'm doing it for him. Trouble is, all I've got to go on, is a disc of piccies, (some marked to use), a leaflet with info on the club being promoted and I've been told he wants an enquiry form too. I have no idea of layout or design - he basically said it's up to dp. There is no logo, nothing.

So I've done the homepage, sent it off to him, and he says well I'm not too sure about the bg colour, but carry on. Thing is, what if I do the site (another 3-4 pages) and he doesn't like the design? Is it normally up to the web designer to make the design, or should he be giving me more ideas of what he wants? Help!

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 11:13:41

It doesn't sound as though you have a clear brief which is the starting point for any design work..you need to get that sorted between you...

Have you agreed a price?

The homepage will be the main part of the design/image, why not email him some links to sites which you think might be the sort of thing he would like or (less work for you vice versa)

I hated the stuff my website designer did to start with so I roughed it up myself for him to translate into web speak...

Kelly1978 Thu 23-Jun-05 11:41:33

we've agreed a price. we've tried to get some idea of what he wants, but all he says is something simple, no flash etc. The rest he leaves up to dp. I just don't want to spend ages doing it all only to redo it again. I wish he would do some rough ups for me! The idea of links is a really good idea, if he doesn't like it I will do that.

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 11:50:10

What sort of club is it sport or clubbing as in night, or some other organisation

this is what I would call a clean site \link{http://www.ctc.org.uk/cycling club}

orski club

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 11:51:23

sorry cycle club

Kelly1978 Thu 23-Jun-05 11:56:57

they call it a nightclub, but it's more a couple of function rooms than anything. I like the layout of those sites, but it's made me realise how little information I have. Apart from a list of main features of the rooms, I really have very little to work with. Though I'm not sure how much you can say about a couple of function rooms.
I'm beginning to regret getting into this. I can do the coding no probs, but I need to know what I am doing.

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 12:05:49

Here is another one..you can tell I should be working !!!

Millennium Restaurant

I don't think you can be expected to come up with a design without more info....I gave

a logo/banner design for the top of the hompage

specified verdana text

named the menu pages

chose the colour scheme

etc.

He could do something on paper for you, perhaps just a sketch and his wording...

cityofmarvels Thu 23-Jun-05 12:07:07

also the keywords and meta tags etc were written by me (they are now out of date..must sort that)

Kelly1978 Thu 23-Jun-05 12:09:17

tht restaurant one is good, cud def work ti along those lines. I will show dp that and tell him to get some more info off him. he did say the rooms have a colour scheeme of red and white do maybe I can work that in somehow.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: