Talk

Advanced search

Ball gowns

(15 Posts)
SueW Tue 03-Jun-03 14:30:37

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy something for a ball at this time of year?

Do is in less than three weeks and since I have gone up three dress sizes since I started ignoring the diet threads, I have nothing to wear (am not yet fat enough to go in previous evening wear which I hadn't got around to selling).

Needs to be size 18. Needs to be not something I'm likely to see someone else much slimmer wearing and looking better in!

I'm having a day out in London next Friday (13 June) so recommendations for shops in Central London are as welcome as nationwide stores or online.

Marina Tue 03-Jun-03 14:35:24

Do you mean "trad" ballgown as in full skirt, fairly structured etc, SueW? If not, I'd recommend Monsoon or Ghost every time. You *might* see someone skinnier in them but as these clothes are cut to look just as good on 18s as 10s, ha! Who cares! Monsoon's summer range is particularly gorgeous to my mind this year.

Jaybee Tue 03-Jun-03 14:37:27

Could you hire something? At least that way it is unlikely that anyone else would be wearing the same thing - otherwise, I noticed some lovely ones in a recent trip to TK Maxx - a colleague was looking at them and she said they were only around £30 - no idea about sizes though.

Jaybee Tue 03-Jun-03 14:37:41

Could you hire something? At least that way it is unlikely that anyone else would be wearing the same thing - otherwise, I noticed some lovely ones in a recent trip to TK Maxx - a colleague was looking at them and she said they were only around £30 - no idea about sizes though.

Jaybee Tue 03-Jun-03 14:37:44

Where are

Meid Tue 03-Jun-03 14:38:11

Monsoon or Debenhams.

Jaybee Tue 03-Jun-03 14:38:53

oops!! Network at work is so damn slow today I can't tell whether I have posted or not - I was starting to ask where you were going.

janh Tue 03-Jun-03 14:56:32

Talking of ballgowns - I wonder how Lilibet's getting on???

I was at TK Maxx last week and a school-leaver was trying on ballgowns - she looked beautiful - couldn't take her eyes off herself in the mirror, it was like when little girls dress up! I don't know about sizes or prices either though.

Claireandrich Tue 03-Jun-03 15:03:49

Debenhams and BHS often do reasonably priced gowns and cocktail dresses.

BTW I have found that hiring dresses is almost as dear as buying them!

Rhubarb Tue 03-Jun-03 15:28:48

I got my ballgown from TK Maxx, it was originally from Morgan. It's a lovely dark purple shimmery thing that cost £40. I thought it was expensive at the time, but it's not often I get invited to balls and I wanted to look nice, plus you can always sell it on afterwards. Their sizes did include 18.

SueW Tue 03-Jun-03 18:06:39

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Jaybee, it is our school 'Black Tie and Diamonds' ball. Organised by someone who does things 'properly' iyswim, so it is more than some of the dinner dances that are sometimes described as balls, if that makes sense. I've been looking forward to it for ages but haven't managed to get my nose to the grindstone to lose weight. And I want to feel good, not as though I have barely made an effort.

After posting, I had a long chat with my mum and we are going into town tomorrow to look at hire places. I'll add Monsoon, Debenhams, TK Maxx etc to the list. If I can't find anything, I hope to try on enough to get some idea of what I want to wear - from there it will be a case of finding a pattern, some fabric and dragging out the sewing machine (aaaargh!)

SoupDragon Tue 03-Jun-03 18:19:00

Monsoon & Debenhams were going to be my suggestions too. They've got some lovely dresses

sobernow Tue 03-Jun-03 19:04:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bossykate Tue 03-Jun-03 19:38:41

hi suew, another vote for monsoon at the more reasonable end of the market. no further advice, you may have noticed i'm seeking fashion tips myself atm!

just wanted to say, good luck with your search and have a wonderful time!

lilibet Tue 03-Jun-03 20:35:58

Janh, so lovely of you to remember me. Have a look on the original thread for a report on the night! Sue, I have just hired a dress for a 'do' and I thought it was the best choice, got a fantastic dress which was really flattering adn I'm a size 16, I didn' see it as a waste of b/fs money at all!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: