Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does the longest day equals the sun at its highest point in the sky?

(9 Posts)
TracyK Wed 22-Jun-05 09:12:47

I have about 2 -3 metres of shade at my house which my car JUST fits in for ds have his lunchtime nap in. As the months have gone past this bit of shade has got narrower. Once we're past the longest day (soon I believe) - will the width of the shade keep reducing or stabilise?

tiffini Wed 22-Jun-05 09:14:11

eerm, no idea sorry.

lunachic Wed 22-Jun-05 09:16:25

yes think so its the furthest the sun travels this way (from the equator to tropic of cancer) now its starts goiong back to equator and towards capricorn(winter solstice)

lilaclotus Wed 22-Jun-05 09:16:30

i think so, yes

throckenholt Wed 22-Jun-05 09:17:01

longest day = sun highest in the sky - so you will get more shade from now onwards. And you can say - ooh, the nights are drawing in now !

Doesn't mean it will be cool enough to leave him in the car always though (the last few days it has been around 30 deg C in the shade round here).

QueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Jun-05 09:17:42

I seem to remember (from the dark and distant days of Geography at school - I did Scottish Higher and CSYS in it too ) that it does get higher in the sky - think it's something to do with angle of the earth to the sun,

someone will probably come along and correct me though

throckenholt Wed 22-Jun-05 09:18:38

actually the sunset stays about the same through to the end of July (about 9.20), but the sun rises later.

TracyK Wed 22-Jun-05 09:18:56

I'm hoping this bit in the shade will be cool enough with all the car doors and boot opened. This part of the house/drive never gets any sun till bout 7 at night - so stays relatively cool.

throckenholt Wed 22-Jun-05 09:24:15

in that case it may well be the coolest place in your house. Definitely the shade will start to increase from now on, because the sun is gradually moving further south (if you can see the sunset you will notice it is slowly moving back round to the south).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now