Talk

Advanced search

SORN - has anybody else forgotten to do it?

(6 Posts)
assumedname Tue 21-Jun-05 23:50:48

I have a couple of bikes that have sat in our garage for years but for some reason I didn't SORN them. Can't believe I didn't - the only thing I remember is that I thought I didn't have to. I never ride/drive without tax, MOT and insurance so this is untypical of me.

So - am I liable for a fine when I try and get new V5's (as we've moved)? The bikes are currently unrideable, I haven't ridden them for years and we're likely to scrap one.

Will it make any difference that they're now so old that they don't need a tax disc?

Any thoughts welcome.

jamiesam Tue 21-Jun-05 23:59:10

DH has old bike in pieces in the garage which he is gradually re-assembling. SORN only required for bikes that have been previously taxed since 31 January 1998. Don't know if that helps (re-assembling is very gradual and his bike not been on the road for over 15 years!)

assumedname Wed 22-Jun-05 00:06:14

So, as my bikes were last licensed way before 1998, it means they don't need a SORN? I hope I've understood you right.

SaintGeorge Wed 22-Jun-05 00:14:55

Yes you've understood right

Here is the relevant page from the DVLA.

assumedname Wed 22-Jun-05 00:25:33

Brilliant! Thank you both.

I hoped there was a good reason I didn't do the Sorn thing.

SaintGeorge Wed 22-Jun-05 00:30:44

Once you do SORN a vehicle you get yearly reminders for that instead of the tax reminders.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: