Talk

Advanced search

Changing phone number

(9 Posts)
Puppy Tue 21-Jun-05 13:19:41

My DH and I are considering changing home phone number and going ex directory,
Do you need a really good reason for changing numbers?
Are there charges and if so are they much?

Besides all the "you've won a holiday" and other advertising calls we receive ( we are signed up with telephone pref service but still find we get alot), we been getting quiet calls at silly times at night who we beleive to be classroom mates from dd school.

Also would you find it unreasonable for us not to tell dd our new home number, she knows our mobile numbers off by heart, just we have asked her not to give out our number to her friends but found she has done anyway :/, its just the emergency side isn't it.

Fimbo Tue 21-Jun-05 13:45:15

I changed my phone number when I moved into my current house. The previous owner had a small business and we were frequently receiving calls from people looking for him. BT changed my number for free as when I explained the circumstances in their view this was deemed "harrasment". You don't say how old your dd is, but can't really see how you would manage to withhold your number from her, especially is she is older and needed urgent help.

moschops Tue 21-Jun-05 14:04:24

the quiet calls are a common problem caused by automatic dialers from call centres........are you sure its not these you are getting.

we have signed up to the TPS too and it has been better, but we still get the odd silent call and those infuriating recorded messages!!

hope you can get this sorted out.

helsi Tue 21-Jun-05 14:07:59

I have had a lot of quiet calls sometimes at silly times of night and I have been told that they are automated dialling ones from companies.
I think you will find that if you time each call before it hangs up on you they are about 30 seconds. I did this with mine and felt satisified that they prob are automated due to the exact same length of the call.

lou33 Tue 21-Jun-05 16:09:16

This is interesting to me. Over the last few weeks i have been getting a whole bunch of silent calls on my mobile, either early morning or late at night. Number withheld, and they either hang up a few secs after i have answered, or cut off just as i am about to. Last night i also started to get weird texts from a number i didn't recognise, and i rarely give my mob number out. Got 3 more this morning as well. Orange are a bit hapless, but i think the 2 may be related.

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 16:17:38

Lou
I hope you can get to the bottom of that.

lou33 Tue 21-Jun-05 16:28:20

orange have said they can only change my number and report it to malicious calls dept, but i dont feel it has been malicious yet, just a pita, and i dont want to have to change my number unless i really have to.

it's someone who cannot spell tho

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 21:34:13

Ha, that doesn't narrow it down much IMO. Although you can rule out me, the Senora and the mighty ks for starters...

Puppy Wed 22-Jun-05 09:57:55

Thanks guys for the replies, My dd is 15yrs and i think it was a daft idea to withhold our number from her now, we have received silent calls from her friends before (we could hear breathing)she falls out with others easily but thats a whole other thread, I will try the timing helsi.
Its probably companies like you said, they are always between midnight and 2am.

Lou33 I hope you sort out your mobile problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now