Talk

Advanced search

Inappropriate user name?

(10 Posts)
jangly Mon 20-Jun-05 16:48:04

On Wikienews this afternoon, someone posted a message using the name "AutisticPsycho". They were blocked by a moderator as having an "inappropriate user name". Now someone else has come online asking how that name could cause offence! I'm with the moderator on this. I think its a bad name to use. Anyone else?

almostanangel Mon 20-Jun-05 16:52:33

im with you

fastasleep Mon 20-Jun-05 17:07:59

What a stupid name!

dinosaur Mon 20-Jun-05 17:09:28

Well, if the poster is actually autistic, I wouldn't have a problem with that bit of it.

Psycho I'm not so sure about!

TheVillageIdiot Mon 20-Jun-05 17:13:00

we have a 'PsychoMum' I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are either autistic or have an autistic child.

Assuming they have nothing to do with autism then I would say it was offensive.

They would have to expect controversy though and they certainly should be able to understand why at least some people would get upset. Personally I think if your name upsets some people it's best to change it (even if you like it)

TheVillageIdiot Mon 20-Jun-05 17:31:11

sorry didn't mean to kill the thread

vickiyumyum Mon 20-Jun-05 17:33:11

imo highly inapropriate username! its not the psycho bit that offends or the autistic its the use of them both together and the image that that implies!

jangly Mon 20-Jun-05 17:35:49

Yes - that's it exactly, Vickiyumyum!

pinkyroses Mon 20-Jun-05 19:03:57

I was going to say that vickiyumyum.

Someone putting them together is inappropriate.

Davros Mon 20-Jun-05 19:34:43

Either way, its bad taste and COULD cause offence very easily so best to choose something else if its a genuine poster, can't believe it is though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now