Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it acceptable to wear a white top to a wedding?

(60 Posts)
pootlepod Mon 20-Jun-05 16:23:09

Having great difficulty finding something I like to a wedding, have bought a green skirt and an off-white hippy top to go with it. Now worried that it's taboo to do the white thing at a wedding.

expatinscotland Mon 20-Jun-05 16:23:44

No. Try another colour.

rickman Mon 20-Jun-05 16:24:43

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Mon 20-Jun-05 16:24:53

I don't think you should to be honest. It's just not the done thing. Although I know lots of people that do wear white and I had 2 people wearing white suits at my wedding!

beachyhead Mon 20-Jun-05 16:25:29

I think a white top is OK, but not a white suit or a white dress.

Can you add a green pashmina/shawl, just for the church......

desperatehousewife Mon 20-Jun-05 16:28:14

bugger - am going to a wedding in july...was planning to wear my old wedding dress ()

nutcracker Mon 20-Jun-05 16:28:36

I think it would be fine. You are only wearing a white top not a complete outfit.

Jayzmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:29:08

I went to a wedding not long ago where the brides mother in law turned up in a white dress and jacket....the bride was so
I'd go with a shawl for the ceremony.

sweetheart Mon 20-Jun-05 16:31:23

lol dhw!!!

almostanangel Mon 20-Jun-05 16:32:13

what have i missed ?? i didnt realise there was a colour code for weddings wear what you are comfortable in ! and as your skirt is another colour whats the problem?

sweetheart Mon 20-Jun-05 16:33:40

I probably wouldn't have even noticed if some else was wearing a wedding dress on my wedding day - let alone a white top!!!!

I'd say don't worry!!!

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 16:35:09

I once turned up in the same colour as the bridesmaids.

White top is fine IMHO. I've worn cream jackets before and provided you wear a coloured dress/skirt then there's no problem.

hotmama1 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:40:29

I think a white top is fine as long as the whole outfit isn't white/off-white/cream etc. Just not the done thing to wear an outfit that may 'clash' with the bride's (especially if you look better ).

at the MIL who wore a white ensemble - what a cow!

whimsy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:41:05

I think a white top would be ok, my MIL & new SIL wore white suits, while the other new SIL wore a white dress
Should have known then i'd have problems whith them

mancmum Mon 20-Jun-05 16:41:08

of course it is OK -- a white top in a summer wedding -- what is so bad about that... if there is any danger of clashing with bride, do we have to wear old dirty clothes, no nice nice undies?

katierocket Mon 20-Jun-05 16:42:45

I've worn a white dress to a wedding before. It was with black cardy, black shoes and black bag, so kind of a black and white thang. Nothing wrong with it IMO. You're hardnly going to be mistaken for the bride.

ninah Mon 20-Jun-05 16:44:30

Fine, I'd say

motherinferior Mon 20-Jun-05 16:44:57

Good grief, I never knew there was a dress code. The things we unmarried mothers miss out on.

burstingbug Mon 20-Jun-05 16:45:19

My MIL is getting married on Saturday, I have gone for the lilac look, She has brought my DS an outfit with shirt, trousers, waist coat and cravat to wear in a pearl colour and he's only 4 months old - how sweet will he look

TheVillageIdiot Mon 20-Jun-05 16:45:34

I didn't realise you couldn't wear white - eek <tries to rememebr if she's ever worn white to wedding>

burstingbug Mon 20-Jun-05 16:46:29

I've never heard about the white/cream thing at weddings before btw

sweetheart Mon 20-Jun-05 16:47:16

burstinbug

If the wether is like this the poor little lad will melt!!!!

flobbleflobble Mon 20-Jun-05 16:57:14

I think a white top is fine - no danger of upstaging the bride there!

MaloryTowers Mon 20-Jun-05 17:01:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fastasleep Mon 20-Jun-05 17:03:45

Oh no! I have a white linen maternity skirt for a wedding... it's all I'll fit into by then... I hadn't even thought about upstaging the bride (ha! With me looking like a beached whale!) or going against a dress code... I was going to wear a lilac and blackburry two tone top and have lilac accessories.. ooh I feel a bit naughty now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now