Talk

Advanced search

anyone reported anyone for benefit fraud?

(141 Posts)
ogri Mon 20-Jun-05 16:19:38

hi all
like to say this is not a shoot me down in flames thread and dont want it to be.
i am just very interested.
i know a couple with a young baby, who are claiming every benefit they can, and they both work for cash in hand.
they have the latest mobile phones and the guys trainers cost more than my whole outfit.
it is really starting to p**s me off. my hubby works really hard and every month we are scraping the bucket at the end of the month.
why should we be the honest ones who are skint and they get everything.
so has anyone reported someone. did you feel guilty.
thanks for any replies

expatinscotland Mon 20-Jun-05 16:22:10

I have. I don't feel guilty. The person I shopped was not eligible to be claiming benefit in the UK at all, had loads of money in savings abroad, and bragged about it constantly in writing.

Why feel badly? It's against the law! Would you feel badly about telling the police someone stole your purse? B/c that's what benefits cheats do - steal from the public purse.

Next time you feel badly, pull out your husband's last pay slip and look at how much went to PAYE. That should fix it.

HappyHuggy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:33:17

I can totally identify with you ogri.

It really pisses me off and i'd love to report people but for some reason i never do!

If i was gonna report anyone it'd be my dad and his scrounger wife

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:36:00

I know someone who is claiming benifits, IS, Housing benifit, council tax rebate, CTC, and her dh works cash in hand. I have told her time and time again, that what she is doing is illegal, but she keeps saying that she will stop claiming wen they get rid of the debts. I haven't reported her because she has a sereve disabled child, but its annoys me..........

sorry Mon 20-Jun-05 16:45:00

I commit benefit fraund.

I do it so I can stay at home with my dd until I feel she is old enough to be left.

I don't feel good about it but its the only way I can see my dd grow up.

The government wouldn't help me so I had to help myself.

I paid tax for years now I'm getting a little something back.

I won't post again, just wanted to say this.

Nightynight Mon 20-Jun-05 16:49:09

if I'd done that, I'd have had to do our whole street when we lived in Plymouth!
most of them weren't getting rich on it though. Living on benefits is very hard, as anyone who has done it knows.

If you think these people are genuine cheats, why don't you tell them so?

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 16:50:30

sorry, and how long will that be?

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:51:40

I am on benifits, but because I have two disabled kids I can breathe a bit easier because I do get extra money for them, DLA and CTC top up our money. I have never had to live on basic Benifits and know it can be very hard.

sorry Mon 20-Jun-05 16:52:42

Until shes dry and can go to the play group by where I live. Probaby another 7 months.

Been doing it for about a year.

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:53:26

aren't you worried about getting caught, Sorry?

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:54:27

I take it that you are working then, sorry?

Nightynight Mon 20-Jun-05 16:54:56

sparklymieuw, benefit fraud is really widespread and I dont personally know anyone who's ever been caught, which probably answers your question.

sorry Mon 20-Jun-05 16:55:00

Yes, but only me and my dp know about it.

My mom doesn't even know.

misdee Mon 20-Jun-05 16:55:38

but if you get caught, doesnt that mean u lose your benefits forever.

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:56:17

My aunt got caught, she had to report to the police everyday for a year.......

sorry Mon 20-Jun-05 16:56:47

I don't work.

Dp works and hes not meant to live here.

Got to go now.

Fio2 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:57:02

I dont think you should feel guilty about reporting them if they both work 'cash in hand". But then again it is very hard for some people to survive nowadays so I can see why the temptation is there. I just hate the attitude if you do claim for genuine reasons you are classed as a scrounger anyway

HappyHuggy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:57:06

its hardly fair on all us taxpayers who have to work to get by though is it?

Nightynight Mon 20-Jun-05 16:57:09

was she shopped?

HappyHuggy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:57:47

that wasnt aimed at you Fio.

Just at the people who commit benifit fraud

Fio2 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:58:20

sorry, are you getting benefits for being a single parent then? whilst your dp is actually with you?

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:58:34

have you worked it out, sorry? because I know when DH was working we were better off, even with paying rent and council tax.
I can understand why people commit benifit fraud, but is it worth it?

oooggs Mon 20-Jun-05 16:59:08

Yes I have reported our neighbours and I am glad I did it. We both work very hard to have what little we have.

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 17:00:55

My aunt was working while claiming benifits, she was shopped and was put before the court, it was only because she has a disabled dd that se got away with it, she had to pay back the money and had to report to the police daily.......

Nightynight Mon 20-Jun-05 17:01:53

can I ask the grassers again, did it actually occur to you to tell the fraudsters straight out what you thought of what they were doing, and why didn't you?

good citizenship vs English facade of politeness?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now