Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please sign the petition to STOP debt ads on Children's TV

(61 Posts)
MarsLady Mon 20-Jun-05 16:04:03

petition here!

Glad someone has started this cos it's ridiculous having these ads in the middle of children's programmes!

QueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Jun-05 16:05:39

sorry shan't be signing it - I'm not quite sure what the 'issue' is TBH

sparklymieow Mon 20-Jun-05 16:05:54

I hate this ads on kids' channels, and the other one is mortage companies

QueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Jun-05 16:06:18

what 'should' be advertised on kids TV??

Kelly1978 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:06:27

done it

Kelly1978 Mon 20-Jun-05 16:08:15

explanation of campaign here

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 16:09:23

DSs will come in very useful should we ever run out of money

tbh, I prefer the loan ads because every time one is shown, it's one less toy advert for that slot.

QueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Jun-05 16:10:07

sorry still don't see what the 'real' issue is

Yes DS1 (4yrs old) comes out with comments related to the ads, but as he grows older we'll continue to teach him about the 'value' of money - and debts...

QueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Jun-05 16:12:46

Toy adverts - resulting in kids thinking they can have every toy under the sun

Car adverts - not only showing how 'cheap' these cars are, but also how fast they can go....

Supermarket ads - showing kids (and adults) messing around on shopping trolleys etc etc

That new 'sugar free' lollipop advert - so sweets are obviously 'ok' (try explaing the difference in the shop to a 4yr old between a 'sugar free' lollipop and a normal one).

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 16:14:07

"The results showed a shockingly high number of parents are being badgered by their children to take out loans with companies such as Ocean Finance and Norton Finance."

Well, I'm sorry but if they're going to take financial advice from their child then they really need to look at their IQ. I think it's far worse for the children to be bombarded with adverts for expensive toys, sugar laden foods like those "baby pop" things and junk food. I would sign a petition against those.

aloadoffishyballs Mon 20-Jun-05 16:14:41

done

QueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Jun-05 16:15:35

Thankyou Soupy - though I was perhaps the only one

elsmommy Mon 20-Jun-05 16:16:06

done

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 16:16:47

I'd rather my child pester me to take out a loan then to buy an expensive toy. A loan is an ethereal thing they really don't understand, a toy is tangible and real.

MarsLady Mon 20-Jun-05 16:17:03

lol soupy and you a woman with so little care of your mobile lol

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 16:18:42

It's OK, DSs can tell me several places to get a new one at a good price.

MarsLady Mon 20-Jun-05 16:20:18

PMSL

Alannah Mon 20-Jun-05 17:09:14

I don't agree with advertising on Childrens' TV full stop. I only allow dd to watch Cebeebies for that very reason. In Sweden it is not permitted to have junk food ad's on childrens TV and they have very little child obesity. Pester power is a potent marketing tool that feeds on stressed time-poor parents. It is my ambition that my child will get to school age before she finds out about Ronald McDonald.

HappyDaddy Tue 21-Jun-05 08:37:16

Let's blame adverts, shall we? What happened to parents telling their children, "No"?

Twiglett Tue 21-Jun-05 08:40:31

snurk at soupy

Hausfrau Tue 21-Jun-05 08:45:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 21-Jun-05 08:50:53

But that doesn't happen like that, does it, HF? On NickJr, don't they just have ads between programmes?

Children's TV has to be funded somehow - adverts or subscription.

lilaclotus Tue 21-Jun-05 08:51:01

i complained about the animal abuse ones they show on boomerang. got a letter saying i was oversensitive and they are more lenient with charities. it's such a help to know that when dd cries over what she sees on them {shrug}

charleepeters Tue 21-Jun-05 08:51:32

Surley debt ads will deter childen from getting in debt when there older??

HappyDaddy Tue 21-Jun-05 08:55:59

I'm sorry if I sound harsh but, I'm tired of hearing that we're always finding others to blame for our own mistakes or faults. If YOU are the parent, then YOU should be able to tell your child no, it's as simple as that. If you are letting your child dictate to that degree then there's a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now