Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anybody had this problem with a washing machine?

(18 Posts)
handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 13:11:35

It still goes through the programme - fills with water and takes powder from the dispenser at the appopriate times.

It also makes the clicking noises that it usually makes before the drum starts rotating in the wash cycle - but only problem is that the drum fails to rotate and the washing just stays stationery in a sodden mass. It doesn't get 'agitated' so it doesn't get clean.

Odder still, the drum does rotate for the spin cyle.

Anyone had this problem and was it easy to sort? I've got a washing machine man coming tomorrow and I don't want him to shake his head gravely, tell me it will cost me and then produce a bill for £300

(I've watched too many rogue traders tv programmes)

It's a Bosch, about 8 years old.

jjash Mon 20-Jun-05 13:24:48

sounds like my washing machine last year .Did exactly the same thing in that it went through programme on the dial but drum didnt move or spin.Crap me cant remember wht man said it was but it cost £40 to fix.Fingers crossed for you!

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 13:29:18

£40 I can live with...

jjash Mon 20-Jun-05 13:31:25

and its been fine ever since .Am racking my brains to remember what problem was - may have been the pump .

geekgrrl Mon 20-Jun-05 13:31:34

I had this a while ago - the brushes needed replacing (they're some electronic components of the motor or something along those lines!). It cost £60, and that was apparently expensive as it's a Bosch.

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 13:39:27

Excellent,

I can bamboozle the poor man by saying: "I think I know what the problem is. I have a friend who had exactly this issue, and it turned out that her brushes needing replacing?...or I understand that problems with the pump can also cause this difficulty"

nailpolish Mon 20-Jun-05 13:44:35

i had that, the nice washing machine man replaced the motor for £60 and it lasted another 4 yrs

whymummy Mon 20-Jun-05 14:10:36

HMC the same thing happened to mine last month,i kept trying and trying for 3 days and it just didn't turn,the man came pressed a few buttons,like the economy wash and it started working!!!!i still had to pay him £89 and he changed what it looked like a fuse just to make it look like he'd done something!! i was well and trully p**d off but had to pay

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 14:29:42

Whymummy,

thanks for that. I will try pushing a few buttons tonight to see if I can get it self correct. He is not due to come until tomorrow a.m. so there is time to cancel him if the machine makes a spontaneous recovery.

Janh Mon 20-Jun-05 15:10:13

I have a Bosch about this age, hmc - it could be the pump - worth a look.

Take plastic panel off bottom of front (should be screwed in, a 2p will turn screws). There should be a long narrow tube in there with a little plug in the end. Get a shallow receptacle, unplug tube (carefully) and sloooowly empty machine into receptacle (be ready to shove plug back in regularly - oh, and put towels down!)

There should be a small round handle thing to the L of the tube - when water stops emptying, unscrew that and pull it out - inside there is a thing which should turn but may have been blocked with something (coins are favourite) - have a poke around.

If there is nothing in it and it does rotate then it's not the pump but worth a shot (you do have to pretty much lie on the floor to do it mind you so put your greasy overalls on first )

handlemecarefully Mon 20-Jun-05 15:14:39

Janh,

I quite fancy having a go at that. I will feel so empowered if I manage to solve my own problem!

Will let you know how I get on...

Fio2 Mon 20-Jun-05 15:15:24

i would check the pump. But tbh if its 8 years old i would just buy another one, I have bought a hoover and it was only about 225-250, cant remember but it isnt worth paying loads to have them fixed if it is that old

Ameriscot2005 Mon 20-Jun-05 15:16:48

I was going to say brushes until you said the spin cycle works (the brushes complete the electrical circuit of the drum motor, so the machine shouldn't selectively work on spin if it doesn't work on the main wash).

Janh gives a really good suggestion and it's one of the few bits of maintenance you can do yourself.

My washing machine (LG) stopped mid program for a few days, and I was able to advance it on manually by selecting a rinse and spin cycle separately. It turns out that the coin trap in the bottom was rather full! Emptying it the next few loads did the trick - and I got "paid" for doing the repair myself!

Janh Mon 20-Jun-05 15:17:55

Good luck!

handlemecarefully Tue 21-Jun-05 13:47:47

Well I did the old checking of the pump routine - no obvious obstructions but some smelly slimey gunk.

Turned out to be worn parts on the motor which the repair man replaced. Total cost £85...Not too freaked by that, and mightily relieved that it is working again.

Thanks all

milward Tue 21-Jun-05 13:50:43

I had a bosch - 10 years old & this happened to mine last year! Had to buy a new one - hope yours can be fixed.

milward Tue 21-Jun-05 13:51:11

posts x - good news!!

handlemecarefully Tue 21-Jun-05 14:14:15

Thanks milward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now