Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

stripped pine woodwork

(6 Posts)
throckenholt Mon 20-Jun-05 10:36:57

How do you do it ? What I mean is all ours has been varnished and over the years has gone orangey - not like the stipped pine you see on the tv all the time in those "property" programs.

We are about to build an extension and I want to have bare wood doors, skirting board etc. And I don't want it to go orange

So what is the secret?

Guardianangel Mon 20-Jun-05 10:53:51

DH has made all our skirtings and doors. We thoroughly waxed it with Fiddis Wax. We didnt varnish. Still looking good and seems to stand all the bumps etc.

throckenholt Mon 20-Jun-05 11:00:36

we did was one lot - but after a couple of years the wax seemed to come to the surface and sit there looking white and waxy

throckenholt Mon 20-Jun-05 20:09:08

bumping for the evening crowd - I am sure someone out there is an expert

SoupDragon Mon 20-Jun-05 20:10:31

Wood stain to an antique colour and then wax on top to protect - applied with fine grade wire wool I believe.

Janh Mon 20-Jun-05 20:17:42

I have friends with new "old" doors, and they stained them with walnut and then waxed. They are just brownish and look v good.

Alternatively when you buy unstained pine furniture they treat it with - some kind of chemical, I forget what (sorry), which makes it go yellowish, and then it ages un-orangely.

HTH (LOL!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now