Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters are heroes

(19 Posts)
hester Sun 19-Jun-05 22:49:42

Last week, at my 20 week scan, my baby was diagnosed with talipes. I was offered various options, including abortion and amnio, which left me anxious and confused. I turned to Mumsnetters for help and immediately a network of contacts fanned out which resulted in me getting brilliant advice and fantastic support. I wasn't surprised - I'd got wonderful support through my struggles with conception and miscarriage - but I was really, really touched.

I just wanted to say so here. This is a great site.

Dior Sun 19-Jun-05 22:57:11

Message withdrawn

jessicasmummy Sun 19-Jun-05 22:57:38

Always welcome Hester xxx

redsky Sun 19-Jun-05 23:15:12

I have also benefitted from FANTASTIC advice and support from MN!! Three cheers for MN! HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!

jessicasmummy Sun 19-Jun-05 23:16:57

HIP HIP HOORAY!

QueenOfQuotes Sun 19-Jun-05 23:19:06

Me too - thanks to some persistant nagging from LGJ (in particular) I took myself off to the Dr.s in February, was diagnosed with PND, and while I still have my bad moments and generaly happy again

Carla Sun 19-Jun-05 23:20:36

hester -

Carla Sun 19-Jun-05 23:21:32

She's a worry, that LGJ

LGJ Sun 19-Jun-05 23:27:20

No

I am just a bossy Moo

Moondog said earlier, I look sassy, I reckon attitude covers it really well.

Happy to have helped, we pick each other up and dust each other off and start all over again.

You were all there for me when I gave the pram away, having only had one occupant and medically no chance of another, you lot kept me sane that night and into the following day.

dinosaur Mon 20-Jun-05 17:12:49

Hester that's really sweet of you.

I know you got my CAT message - do ring in the evening after 8 p.m. for a chat.

hana Mon 20-Jun-05 18:13:53

can I just echo what hester has posted - I had such a lot of support 2 years ago ( oh god has it been that long!?!) with some repeat m/c problems....... I'm more of a lurker these days than anything else as my TWO beautiful dds keep me busy...
but mn is fab fab fab

thanks guys!

MarsLady Mon 20-Jun-05 18:29:37

I'll add my applause. When I posted asking for clothes for prem clothing for tiny twins the response was instant and the parcels have begun to arrive.

You're a wonderful lot and nothing makes me smile more than seeing people reaching out to others (yeah I know, far too soppy me!)

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 18:30:11

bloody hell mars - what are you on today? THAT WAS DEEP even for you!

tamum Mon 20-Jun-05 18:34:54

Lovely thread hester, and hoping for a lovely outcome for you

MarsLady Tue 21-Jun-05 10:54:35

Yes sorry JM must've been the heat! LOL

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 11:14:00

Definitely.

Occasionally feel guilty about spending far too much time here, but sometimes you don't want to talk to RL friends about stuff because you don't want them to factor in a problem/ opinion/ issue you've got into their long term perception of you - it just might not be the way you relate to them. So to come on here and mull it over and get help, is great.

Marina Tue 21-Jun-05 11:47:34

Hester I am so sorry to hear this, I missed any thread on it as dd had chickenpox.
How are you all now? M XXX

hester Tue 21-Jun-05 22:52:32

Hi Marina, it wasn't actually a thread, but I wrote about what had happened on the October antenatal thread. Motherinferior and Pamina then put the word out to various people, and I've had some fantastic advice from people like Blu, tamum, dinosaur, anteater and others. They've all been brilliant, and helped me not only come to terms with the talipes diagnosis but to make sense of the very frightening warnings I was given about the risks of underlying chromosomal abnormalities.

We're now absolutely fine with the diagnosis - I'd rather the poor little mite (it's a girl!) didn't have to go through having her little bendy feet fixed, but she and we will be OK.

Still feeling very anxious about the dire warnings of serious underlying abnormalities. I've now talked to a paediatrician friend who said, just like Blu and tamum had, that it is incredibly unusual to have a baby with talipes also have an associated chromosomal disorder where EVERYTHING else has looked good at the 20 week scan (and everything else did look good). So at this stage I'm not doing the amnio. But I have asked the hospital for an appointment with another consultant, just to talk through the risks again and put my mind at risk.

Sorry Marina, that was a very long answer to you! It has been a terribly stressful week, but the help I've got off here has been wonderful and it's helped so very much.

bossykate Tue 21-Jun-05 23:08:41

so glad you have got support and are feeling more hopeful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now