Talk

Advanced search

Am I too fat to be a nurse?

(9 Posts)
LilMissy Sun 19-Jun-05 19:36:11

I've got a conditional place at uni to study adult nursing and one of the conditions is passing an occupational health test.

I'm 5ft 6/7 and weigh about 16 stone and am a size 18/20. Going by the BMI this makes me obese (or higher) but I don't feel fat iykwim. I work at clarks atm and have no prob being on my feet all day and gave go upstairs etc without getting breathless but i'm still terrified I won't pass my occupational health exam. Does anyone have any experince of this and if so, what are my chances?

Carla

colditz Sun 19-Jun-05 19:38:11

I really wouldn't have thought so for one minute! I can't see what (physically) a nurse does that a care assistant doesn't, and I am fine with that.

Do they really pay attention to your weight then?

Twiglett Sun 19-Jun-05 19:38:48

bloody hell if it does they'll have to sack every single midwife I've ever met

(no offence midwives.. mears I know you're skinny cos I've seen your photo )

LilMissy Sun 19-Jun-05 19:44:22

well on the occupational health form i had to send back there was a height/weight thing on the official side. I actually don't know what will happen but i'm guessing they'll check i'm physically fit (i'm not marathon runner but i'll do!!)

I think once you pass and are accepted you can get as fat as you want

colditz Sun 19-Jun-05 19:45:30

it is much healthier to be 3 stone overweight than 3 stone underweight.

LilMissy Sun 19-Jun-05 20:03:30

thanks! you've all made me feel alot more confident about my occupational health thingy now

TwoIfBySea Sun 19-Jun-05 22:12:53

Carla my SIL started her nursing course (doing the pre-nursing thing at college first) and she is really quite fat. She is only about 5'2" so it restricts her quite a bit and I was surprised she was allowed on the course at all.

However we tall folk carry it better and can manage it so good luck on your test. I am sure if there is a problem they will tell you how to overcome it rather than not let you nurse, I mean, have you seen some of the nurses on ward?

You'll be fine and dandy. There are plenty pleasing plump people (isn't that nicer than saying fat) who are healthier than some skinny minnies! At least if you have to lift a large patient you won't snap in two!

edam Sun 19-Jun-05 22:50:06

God, no! My sister was probably your size when she started out as a student nurse. Plus BMI is pretty outdated as a measurement - waist circumference is the current trendy idea.

mamadadawahwah Sun 19-Jun-05 23:18:52

I think a more serious question to ask about being a nurse is "have i got the stamina?" If you are healthy and fit, it wont matter what your waist size is. Anyway, at 5 foot 6 and size 18/20 you aint that fat, love. In fact depending on your skeletal size you might only be slightly plump. If your bp is good and you dont suffer from any serious ailments, i dont think you have anything to worry about. Your worries will come when you are running your legs off trying to do 15 things at once. Chances you wont have that weight for long once you start nursing!
Good luck to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now