Talk

Advanced search

CALLING CONTACT LENSE WEARERS - I did something stoooopid this morning........

(22 Posts)
Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 19:26:47

I dropped cleaning solution into one of my eyes by mistake - ouch ouch ouch, boy did it sting and my eye has been sore all day.

I washed it out as best I could, but I've had crusty yellow stuff gathering around my eye all day.

Question - should I lay off putting the lenses in tonight (I wear the new night time ones that shape your eye so you don't need glasses or contacts during the day)?

Plus, what do you think this crusty stuff is - could I have an infection in the eye now ?

Lonelymum Sat 18-Jun-05 19:28:57

I would go and see your optician on Monday and avoid wearing any lenses until then. What happens if you don't wear the one night? I have old fashioned lenses.

Tissy Sat 18-Jun-05 19:29:51

puff, was the cleansing solution peroxide -based?

You probably have a chemical-induced conjunctivitis, so best not to wear the lenses again until your eye feels normal again.

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 19:33:41

Lonelymum, my eyesight will gradually deteriorate, but it'll be okish tomorrow and I could just wear my old glasses on Monday to drive to the opticians.

Tissy - I'll have a check of what's in the solution.

Tissy Sat 18-Jun-05 19:45:19

Peroxide really stings, it's "pure agony, man" as they say in Glasgow . When I did the same it was an effort to open my up again to get the lens out. I literally immersed my face in a bowl of cold water and prised the lids apart. Had a red eye for days.

Even if it wasn't peroxide based, any detergent is likely to irritate.

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 19:50:40

Can't see the word peroxide on the ingredients, but it did feel like I'd dropped bleach in my eye !

I'll leave off the lenses and try to see the optician on Monday morning as my eye is quite weepy now (yuk!)

Thanks folks!

Hulababy Sat 18-Jun-05 19:53:02

I would recommend going to opticians, but avoid wearing your contacts until you have. Also if the yellow gung remains - go to the GPs in case of infection.

BTW, don't ever touch your lenses after dealing with chilli - it hurts!!!!!!

Lonelymum Sat 18-Jun-05 21:35:31

I've done that Hulababy! Big mistake!

abacus Sat 18-Jun-05 21:37:46

Me too and it is really painful - part of the reason why I've switched to daily disposables

hunkermunker Sat 18-Jun-05 21:39:15

Puff, which solutions do you use? I use an all in one called Unique PH - when you see the optician on Monday, ask him to give you that.

marthamoo Sat 18-Jun-05 21:39:23

Oooh I've done this - it hurts. Mine has always cleared up by itself but I wouldn't wear your lenses 'til your eyes feel OK and I would see the optician on Monday if the yellow gunk persists. I take it you have glasses so you won't be walking into things/crashing the car etc.?

You can try bathing you eye with boiled cooled water with a little salt in it to wash away the crustiness.

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 21:42:15

I'm going to do that marthamoo - my eye looks foul and very crusty now - yeuch, and getting sorer - I am officially a plonker!

Hunker, so is your stuff a cleaner and conditioning solution all in one? I think my tired old brain may cope better with that !

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 21:44:08

Hunker - the stuff I have is called Boston.

marthamoo Sat 18-Jun-05 21:46:05

Not a plonker! Or if you are, so is virtually everyone else who has posted on this thread - we've all done it.

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 21:47:34

Thanks , don't feel so daft now!

Lonelymum Sat 18-Jun-05 21:52:34

How many times do you put your left lens in your right eye and vice versa? I manage that one quite often!

lunavix Sat 18-Jun-05 22:03:38

I have a confession - I usually sleep in mine I got into a bad habit of ripping them when I was 15 and to prevent ripping them I slept in them, rarely taking them out.

My eyes have been gradually getting sorer, and I got regular conjunctivitus Never again.

Hulababy Sat 18-Jun-05 22:22:34

I have learnt my lesson after last year (or year before maybe?) though. Though being a bit lazy, not properly cleaning them each night, wearing them too long - ended up with an eye ulcer. So painful and unable to see AT ALL for a few days; eye drops horuly, 2 weeks off work. I now have daily disposables and I am more careful!

hunkermunker Sat 18-Jun-05 22:25:00

Yes Puff, it's an all-in-one cleaning, soaking and wetting solution. I think I am allergic to Boston solutions - they make my eyes sting.

I can't be bothered with two lots of solutions - too much like hard work for me!

Luna, Puff and I sleep in our lenses but we're meant to

And I don't put them in different eyes now as they're different colours - the Red one goes in my Right eye!

Puff Sat 18-Jun-05 22:26:33

I shall ask for some of that then Hunker - thank you .

hunkermunker Sat 18-Jun-05 22:27:30

There is another all-in-one he does - made by Boston too - but I found that stung my eyes too

marthamoo Sat 18-Jun-05 22:32:57

It's funny, cos even when I was a drunken, slapdash student (completetely unlike now, ahem) I was religious about cleaning my lenses. I have monthlies now and I still am. Mine are from SpecSavers and are ony £8 a month, all in (one bottle of cleaning stuff). I do think the sight correcting ones sound good though - but can't afford them atm.

Off at a tangent...when I first had contact lenses (1988) I had to clean them by hand with a cleaning solution, then put them in the holder, fill it with another solution and add a neutralising tablet, and I had to use protein remover tablets once a month. Now I have one bottle of solution and it self-neutralises in the holder with a platinum disc. New contact lens wearers don't know they're born!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: