Talk

Advanced search

Wedding present ideas needed for old friend and her new Turkish husband

(5 Posts)
sweetheart Tue 10-Nov-09 11:57:40

Dh and I are going to a wedding in a couple of weeks and I can't think of a gift to get. It is an old school friend that is getting married and she is marrying a Turkish man. They are moving back to Turkey to live and I have no idea of their customs / lifestyle etc....

The only thing I know is that they pin gold on the bride at the wedding.

Whatever we get them will have to be small I assume as they will have to ship it to Turkey.

Any ideas?

Talkable Tue 10-Nov-09 12:01:38

Where is he from in Turkey?

If he is a city Turk I would assume a very similar lifestyle to an equivalent couple over here. Just go for a traditional present that is small enough to fit in luggage.

sweetheart Tue 10-Nov-09 12:10:29

I have no idea really. I know they met in a holiday resort and I think that is where they are living. She met his family and the women were all quite religious and covered up. He is not as religious as his family though I believe.

Talkable Tue 10-Nov-09 12:21:06

Its rare for Turkish women living in resort areas or cities to be properly covered. Its more common in Eastern Turkey but if he lives in a resort then its not the East.

The Turkish approach to Islam is generally more relaxed than most Islamic countries.

Does it matter that she is marrying a Turk? Does it change what she would like as a present? I doubt it. Buy her the same type of thing you would have bought her had she met a Brit in Blackpool.

sweetheart Tue 10-Nov-09 12:39:38

he he - thanks Talk, my main concern is making sure it's not too heavy or bulky to ship and seeing as he has never met most of her friends before I thought it would be nice to do something to make him feel welcomed.

I thought it might show some compasion to get something which reflected his culture at an all brits wedding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now