Talk

Advanced search

Suede skirt. Don't want to dryclean it but want it to be clean. Impossible?

(5 Posts)
Caligula Sat 18-Jun-05 07:52:22

I've got a suede skirt which cost me £30 (down from about £90 in a great sale). It's dirty, but it costs about £35-£40 to dryclean it. I kind of think there's no point in doing that, because each time it needs a clean, it is like buying a new skirt, and it's not so great that I want to keep buying it. So I'm thinking of just putting soap and water on it and trying to hand-wash it, and if that destroys it, well so be it. Has anyone tried this? What's the result?

LGJ Sat 18-Jun-05 07:56:55

Now don't ask me where this is coming from, but talcum powder seems to ring bells

Hold on I will google, My Mum used to have a suede skirt of was it a coat ???

Anyway off to Google.

fairydust Sat 18-Jun-05 08:01:23

How to Clean Suede
Suede is a lovely material - warm, soft and cuddly. Too bad it's such a terrible beast to clean. In general, have suede garments professionally cleaned, but if you must clean your own, follow these guidelines.

Steps:
1. Rub suede with a bath towel to restore some of its nap. (Image 1)

2. Remove dry stains and marks from suede by gently rubbing a pencil eraser on the affected area. (Image 2)

3. Brush with a suede brush.

4. Apply a small amount of white vinegar to a damp cloth as a last resort for cleaning suede shoes. (Image 3)

5. Gently rub the surface of the shoe with the cloth, then allow it to air dry.

6. Remember that stains on leather and suede should be professionally treated.

HTH

LGJ Sat 18-Jun-05 08:01:59

Nothing on Google...........

I think she used it to blot up a wet stain, isn't memory amazing, I was about 7 at the time

No real use to you though.

How about using the silk cycle on your machine it is less likely to damage the pile.

SoupDragon Sat 18-Jun-05 09:12:13

I have a feeling my dry cleaner recommended rubbing stains with one of those stain remover blocks. I think he said it may remove some colour though but to dye it back (mine was a black jacket so easily done). I haven't tried it though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now