Talk

Advanced search

Smoke Alarms - no batteries and could have had a fire..

(9 Posts)
lemonice Fri 17-Jun-05 20:29:49

Well it's a wake up call...dd1 is back from uni and put a baked potato in the microwave for 25 mins, dp asleep upstairs for a nap before work and I said to dd something's burning what are you doing she replies nothing just giot a potato in the microwave..I rushed to the kitchen and the microwave stinks opened the door and whoosh of black smoke no SMOKE ALARMS they are sat on the ceiling with the little doors pulled down. thank god i got to it (after 15 mins)...well not so bad apart from a house absolutely stinking..

Kidstrack2 Fri 17-Jun-05 20:41:59

Yep run out and get those batteries! My house burned down when I was 3 it was one of my first memories!

lemonice Fri 17-Jun-05 21:11:07

Hi Kid...I didn't realise we had no batteries in (not looked up lately) but they were taken out during building work (or they would havegone off all the time)..just thought i would bring it up in case anyone else hasn't checked or sorted them lately..

lemonice Fri 17-Jun-05 21:12:07

Sorry kid sounds terrible.. it must have been for you to remember..?

moonunit Fri 17-Jun-05 21:16:52

thanks lemonice for reminding me, my smoke alarm has been without batteries for a week and i keep forgetting them, just about to do my shopping online now, and reading your thread has made me sure to put them on my shopping list.

Kidstrack2 Fri 17-Jun-05 21:19:27

Yeah it was, So much so I have to check every socket is switched off before I go to bed. I have one of those smoke alarms connected to the electricity supply and has a back up battery incase of a powercut. My breathing becomes very rapid and a heavy weight felt on my chest when I hear or see a fire engine zooming past!

lemonice Fri 17-Jun-05 21:26:42

Kid .. i used to worry how to escape from a fire when i was little so i can't imagine how it is for you..my parents had big Victorian houses where you couldn't jump out...I think it's quite easy to get in a pattern of thinking these things are under control but they're not, obviously it's why fires happen (I should know for goodness sake exh is a fire investigator and i have enough stories to make anyone worry) but i can't believe just having someone in who has been away and we could have been in trouble...mind you she is hazardous..

Kidstrack2 Fri 17-Jun-05 21:41:24

At times I still think especially at night how I would get to my kids if the fire was in the hall trapping them from us. I have a huge ladder out the back garden just to keep my mind at rest incase I couldn't get to them and had to jump out a window and use the ladder to get the kids out of thier room via their windows. Sounds terrible to be thinking thoughts like that but its my biggest fear, although I try not to show it in front of the kids. Although I do beleive everyone should have a route planner to escape their house incase a fire starts. For example I would grab ds and dp would grab dd and make our way out the house!

lemonice Fri 17-Jun-05 21:52:37

KId ..we haven't had a fire and I got myself in such a stress that I forgot to wake dp to go to work and now his lift is wainting while he showers etc. but for those with teenagers he says he put the batteries back and i suspect ds has taken them for something else...I have a lt of stories from ex h most to do with insurance scams but a lot with other things It doesn't bear thinking of...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now