Talk

Advanced search

NHS MISTAKE? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

(20 Posts)
HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 19:02:47

When i was pg with ds2 i had a blood test for obstretic cholostatis at 35 weeks. The midwife said she'd call me if it came back positive. She didnt. I called her a week later and she said she hadnt managed to pick up the test results but again told me she'd call if there was a problem - again no phone call so i assumed everything was fine.

Fast forward to 41weeks pg.

went for my over-due appointment and the midwife doing the check up (a different one) spotted the words OC - high in big red letters on my notes and called the consultant who decided i should then be induced asap. They asked scary questions about ds2's movements and then induced me straight away.

anyway ds2 is 14 month old now and today i got a letter from a clinical negligence soliciter who suggested i make a formal complaint of negligence as apparntly ds2 could have died (? - im not sure what cholostasis is)

i dont want to get the midwife into trouble and it was a long time ago, but if something could have happened to ds2.....

so, what would you do?
and what exactly is cholostatsis?
has anyone ever had it and what treatment did you get?

thanks

kid Fri 17-Jun-05 19:06:00

found this on google.

misdee Fri 17-Jun-05 19:07:48

its a liver problem in pregnancy, very serious for baby. i belive PRUFROCK has had it. but i might be wrong.

daisy1999 Fri 17-Jun-05 19:08:25

how did the solicitor know anything about this?

zebraZ Fri 17-Jun-05 19:11:12

Ask Prufrock, she's had Obs. Chol....

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 19:11:18

You know those people that phone you up and see weather you've had any accidents? it was one of them type things and i mentioned it to them. they said they'd check it out and get back to me if they thought that someone had been negligent.

zebraZ Fri 17-Jun-05 19:13:13

Am not a lawyer, but considering nothing bad did happen, no harm done, don't think you'd have much of a case.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-05 19:16:24

I'd forget about it. It's in the past and your DS is absoutely fine. The most I'd do is to write to the hospital/NHS trust responsible and point out their failings.

misdee Fri 17-Jun-05 19:16:44

i wouldnt sue as nothing happened. but i would put an official complaint in.

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jun-05 19:17:24

(and, personally, I think those people who phone up asking if you've had any accidents are the scum of the earth. Along with those bl&&dy loan companies)

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 19:18:12

i wasnt thinking of suing them or anything cause i agree - nothing did happen so there no cause and imo the nhs is underfunded already.

I wouldnt mind having it pointed out that she/they ought to have been more vigilant cause next time there might not be such a good outcome for the mother and baby.

i read the link (thanks kid) and it says that the risks are pre-birth, low birth weight and still birth.

but it was 14 months ago now so maybe its too late?

Twiglett Fri 17-Jun-05 19:19:21

I'd write to head of midwifery

but I wouldn't sue definitely not

Prufrock Fri 17-Jun-05 20:07:16

OC is a condition where your liver/gal bladder does not produce bile salts, leading to a build up bile acids in the body, which can be fatal to the baby, particularly after 37 weeks. Normal treatment is drugs to reduce the bile salts, weekly scans to check blood flow to the baby and weekly (at least) blood tests to detect post drug rises in bile acids. It can be fatal - some studies have shown a 20% chance of miscarriage in unmanaged cases after 37 weeks -so go and give your ds2 an extra big hug.

The only symptom you would have noticed is itching, severity depends on the patient, and possibly very dark urine. If you have previously had OC it is very important to be monitored for it in subsequent pregnancies as tehre is a 90% chance of recurrence. this is the best web basd info.

I would definately complain to the hospital, but wouldn't sue. It is unacceptable that such a serious condition should have been overlooked.

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 21:38:09

its terrible that they let me go to 41 weeks then

and i was being monitered on and off for a couple of weeks before cause ds2's movements keeps slowing right down!!!!!!

I had the itching -it drove me mad!!!!!

mysterygirl Fri 17-Jun-05 21:52:41

huggy - dont go with the claims people for gods sake!!!! They tell you one thing and then sell it on to a law firm who assess it properly. In reality your baby wasnt hurt/damaged/ill so there can be no claim for injury on a "what if" basis. Tell em to PO and ask Countess Dracula's dh what he thinks!

mysterygirl Fri 17-Jun-05 21:53:26

and for the record if you ever have an accident DONT GO TO CLAIMS COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!

CountessDracula Fri 17-Jun-05 22:15:29

He is out but I know he would say

You have suffered no loss so what are you going to claim for?

Agree it would be a good idea to complain though

HappyHuggy Fri 17-Jun-05 22:18:54

i dont want to claim.

i just wondered if it was worth complaining even after 14 months

mysterygirl Fri 17-Jun-05 22:37:18

if it makes you feel better then yes! I complained after my dd's traumatic birth and felt brill when I got an official letter of apology with apologies on 5 counts!

mogwai Fri 17-Jun-05 22:55:45

I think you should complain to the chief executive of the trust, perhaps pointing out that you are concerned this doesn't happen again.

My pre-natal care has been very sloppy. I also work for the NHS and if I was so sloppy at my job, I would expect to be disciplined. It makes me very cross when midwives don't follow stuff up, it's like the minute you leave the room, it's forgotten

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now