Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else with LLoyds bank?? and they do this to you? gggrrr

(34 Posts)
Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 12:20:21

keepo refusing/declining purchases when you have more than enough money in the bank????

I am really really annoyed. they did this to me this morning. i had to pay for something first as it was a collection item and then pay for the two delivery items seperately. Except the delivery items I had to pay for payment was declined. So i had to apply for a bloody store card to pay for them because I have cut all my credit cards off (paid them off cut them up was free)

Then i crossed the road from this shop went in Asda and voila card is working again.

It happens regular that they decline my card and makes me look like a right prick. Once it was for a 17 quid bunch of flowers for my Grans birthday.

Its so annoy, how do i complain porperly

NomDePlume Fri 17-Jun-05 12:21:31

DH has been with Lloyds for donkeys years, he has 2 accounts with them and has never had a problem with this. Although don't get me started on Capital One credit cards... Grrrrr

GeorginaA Fri 17-Jun-05 12:21:34

It happens regularly and you still bank with them?!!!!!

Time to change banks, methinks... sod the complaint letter - or make it a "why I am leaving your shoddy service" letter...

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 12:22:21

it may well be their over-zealous anti-fraud checks.

if you are spending over your "normal" limit then they will sometimes decline your card. Normally a shop will be able to ring them for authorisation.

basically they look at your normal spending patterns... and if you have a sudden spending binge... or just omething out of the ordinary ytou may need extra authorisation.

mears Fri 17-Jun-05 12:22:30

Never had this problem with them.

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 12:27:09

oh it was abit of a binge as i bought a dvd system thing, then a bed and 2 mattress's but ffs cant i buy furniture 6 miles from my home?

I am too lazy to change, think i need to though

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 12:29:11

at least you know that if someone nicked your card they wouldn't be able to spend much on it!

if it happens again though, ask the shop to ring for authorisation, i work in retail and quite often a card isn't actually declined... but it asks us to ring up... you then get an authorisation number from the bank to put the purchase through.

GeorginaA Fri 17-Jun-05 12:29:22

MoneySaving Expert's advice on the best current accounts . Honestly, being too lazy to change (especially when they're treating you so crap - it's YOUR money, you are doing them a FAVOUR banking with them, ffs!) is throwing good money away

Sorry. Used to work in customer service. Bad customer service really really REALLY pees me off!!

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 12:30:44

starlover, we used to have terrible problems drawing cash from cheques - even for £30 - and thought it was ok because of the anti fraud checks. then dh had his chequebook stolen and they (yes, the same branch) cashed it for £1,000 - written in big girly, 16 yr old handwriting (they sent us a copy to verify it wasn't my dh's writing) ffs. (natwest that time though)

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 12:32:52

that's crap bundle!!!! will deffo not be banking with natwest!!!
I had my bag nicked.. it was taken by a gang of boys. I immediately phoned to cancel all my cards but they had already been to the off licence and spent £100 on it!!!
couldn't believe it that the shop would accept a card belonging to a MISS xxxx from a young lad! and what's more he must've forged my signature too!

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 12:34:14

someone nicked by MIL's purse in walsall and it took her 20 minutes to get her card stopped and they had already spent loads on it

bundle Fri 17-Jun-05 12:34:33

starlover, we're still with them cos they did compensate us and were pretty speedy on cancelling the cards etc. but they're all pants aren't they?

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 12:37:19

yeah! i was SO angry.. I got my money back too... but the bastards still got away with it, still got their £100 worth of alcohol!
That was on my barclaycard.

i truly cannot believe how easily they used the card though... the people in the shop must just not give a shit! there was a spate of handbag theft in that partic sainsburys all over christmas... so reckon it was the same lot keep doing it

SaintGeorge Fri 17-Jun-05 13:00:35

Precisely why Chip & Pin was brought in.

I once signed a credit card slip 'Minnie Mouse' just to see if the shop assistant would react. She didn't spot it and the transaction went through.

Prufrock Fri 17-Jun-05 13:03:23

It will be the "unusual spending patterns" fio. Tesco visa did this to me recently - I spent £200 on curtain poles, £400 on a new bed and then £800 on washing machine/dryer. All 3 online purchases were declined because the activity looked fraudulent. I was so angry - and pointed out that there was little point in them allowing me £10k of credit if they were going to decline a £200 purchase - but they just kept repeating that it was their systems. It doesn't make you look a prick though - the bed sales guy was telling me they get about 10 instances a day, so they don't assume it's anything other than the card company being neurotic.

starlover Fri 17-Jun-05 13:19:55

yes. i think i may well be the only shop assistant in the country who has queried someones signature.
my manager didn't know what to say! lol

chip and pin is good, but it can still be overriden at the moment. if someone can't remember their pin number then you can put it through as a signature...

GeorginaA Fri 17-Jun-05 13:21:55

Plus chip and pin is a nice convenient get out for banks to say "no, it can't be fraud... you must have given out your pin/kept it insecurely". At least with a signature you can prove you didn't sign it (by handwriting analysis if necessary) and force them to pay up.

Not convinced chip and pin is the be all and end all, tbh.

Fio2 Fri 17-Jun-05 13:28:03

GeorginaA ytou are so strict nowadays

I have told dh and he seems to think it was good they declined my second transaction, humph

GeorginaA Fri 17-Jun-05 13:54:24

Sorry, I know

Only got 3 hours sleep last night and ds1 been overly "WHY WHY WHY" today (god knows where he finds the energy after no sleep ... think he leeched mine). The world doesn't have many shades of grey this afternoon - I apologise

tallulah Sat 18-Jun-05 11:09:30

DHs Lombard Card keeps getting refused at Tescos petrol station, but it works in their shop! (They say there is nothing wrong with their tills!)

A couple of years ago his other credit card was refused in a restaurant in the states. When we rang them (that was fun, from a public callbox we couldn't work out how to use..) they said it was because he hadn't used it for a while & had then had several days of spending on it (duh.. because we were on holiday....)

ghosty Sat 18-Jun-05 11:26:51

Georgina .... they have had what you lot call Chip and Pin in NZ for years now (at least 4 years, probably longer ... since before we got here anyway) ... it is called 'Eftpos' and it is brilliant ... IMO it is the be all and end all
If you lose your card there is no way anyone can use it unless they know your number ...
What I love about the banking system here is that there is NO way you can go over drawn or over your over draft limit because the second you make a transaction it is debited from your account. I have been in the situation where I have bought $100 worth of groceries and then gone to the cashpoint later for $50 and been refused because there was only $48 in the account ....
In the UK it was so easy to go overdrawn or over your limit because of the delay in shopping to your bank being debited.
The downsides here are the HUGE banking costs and the fact that you can't get any interest on normal current accounts that are in credit.

bubbaloo Sat 18-Jun-05 11:46:16

i think they're probably all as bad as each other.ive banked with abbey for 30yrs and in feb i had my card cloned at an atm,and they took over £1000 from 2 different accounts!
to cut a long story short abbey are refusing to give me my money back,basically saying they dont believe me and that i gave my card with pin number to someone for them to use.
i am so with them and the financial ombudsman are looking into things for me,but because i can't prove anything,it's been a nightmare.i have now opened all new accounts elsewhere and we're changing our mortgage as there's no way im staying with abbey,but it's all so much aggro that i dont need at the mo,especially with a baby due anyday now.

starlover-ive changed to natwestand so far so good!!

GeorginaA Sat 18-Jun-05 12:38:17

ghosty: there's already been a case over here where someone was threatened with a knife to tell them his pin number and then the bank refusing to refund the money because the PIN was disclosed. Plus, most supermarkets, it's very easy for others to see your PIN when you type it in (not least the security guards on the CCTV). If people do crack the chip (no security is infallible) then banks can just turn around and say they won't refund. The small print terms & conditions are not friendly.

lunavix Sat 18-Jun-05 12:41:13

I've had this problem with my Capital One platinum card. No idea how I got the thing in the first place (don't remember applying) then when we bought our wedding rings it wanted authorisation - I reeled off our address, and three previous ones but they refused me on the basis that I didn't know where I lived. Highly humiliating with a large purchase.

Phoned them to check that it was all legit (ie my card, my address) and what would you know current address was on it.

GeorginaA Sat 18-Jun-05 12:42:16

Fishy and Chips - a good article on the problems with chip and pin systems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: