Talk

Advanced search

Condensation...

(6 Posts)
cheeseycharlie Wed 04-Nov-09 10:07:21

We are getting masses of condensation on the insides of our windows now that it is colder. We have double galzing, I thought that you don't get condensation with double glazing. Is that right and does it mean there is something wrong with my double glazing? Any ideas for dealing with it? It soaks the curtains and makes them go black and mildewy!

lucykate Wed 04-Nov-09 10:12:14

we get this too, more so on the older window units, than the newer ones (all the windows at the back were replaced a year ago, front ones still waiting to be done). when it's at it's worst, i use a window squeegy thingy (is that the right word?!) and a towel, i do find leaving the smallest opening window open slightly helps keep the condensation at bay.

sazzerbear Mon 09-Nov-09 20:45:49

We are getting the same, it seems to be with the older double glazed windows as well that don't have vents in them. Seems to be worse than last year, I make sure I wipe the windows down then leave windows open to air. Any other ideas ladies? It's gross! smile

IvanaDK Mon 09-Nov-09 21:03:00

We also get heavy condensation in the bedroom (lived in this house since August only) , and we never got that in our old house.

I think it's a mixture of things. Here in the UK (I'm from Denmark) it's common to turn the heating off at night and dry clothes in doors on clothes rails. In Denmark it's colder so the heating is turned down at night, not off, and it is not recommended to dry clothes in doors.

If you try airing out in all rooms 3 x 10 min per day, you might see a difference. And if you have a central control system for your heating, try lowering the temperature at night rather than turning it off.

Read here: http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php

IvanaDK Mon 09-Nov-09 21:06:18

Oh, here is a really good pdf:

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/publications/information-leaflets/repairs--maintenance/condensa tion

scroll down a bit to click the link

sazzerbear Tue 10-Nov-09 21:14:28

Many thanks IvanaDK!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now