Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Enough time for OU course?

(5 Posts)
bijou Thu 16-Jun-05 15:40:04

I'm really keen on doing the Open University cert in Early Years Practice.

I've been helping out part time in a kindergarden and have been offered more hours (25 per week) from Sept. I live in Spain so distance learning is my best option.

I'm also setting up an e-com biz which takes up another 20 hours a week and as DH works long hours I do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, child care etc.

What I'm trying to lead up to is to ask if anyone has anyone done this course and if I'm deluding myself into believing I have the time to complete...and enjoy...this course.

I'd like to complete the whole course (60 points) in 2 years.

Is 5 hours a week enough??

Thanks

SenoraPostrophe Thu 16-Jun-05 19:02:28

I don't know how much time you need for an OU course but here's a bump for you.

emily05 Thu 16-Jun-05 19:07:42

I did a 60 point course in a year (so that translates to 10 hours a week compared to 5 over two years if you see what I mean). I think that is enough time. I did about 5 hours a week - but I am one of those people who cram!

marthamoo Thu 16-Jun-05 19:09:07

Get in touch with the OU and ask them how many hours a week they estimate you will have to dedicate to study. I applied to do an MA in English Lit. with the OU and they reckoned for that particular course I needed to set aside 14 hours a week for study. Bear in mind that if you need to use libraries etc. you will need to factor in travelling time too.

Btw, I got cold feet and pulled out. Mainly because I found I out I was pregnant with my second child and suddenly 14 hours a week sounded like a hell of a lot! But Good Luck.

bijou Thu 16-Jun-05 19:18:06

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
It seems like 5 hours a week is the norm...wish I could cram and make it 2 and a half!

Has anyone done the early years cert?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now