Talk

Advanced search

does anyone have a plasma/thin telly?

(31 Posts)
nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:44:49

dh has just ordered one, cant believe it but there you go. he has big 'plans' to put all the cables BEHIND the plasterboard, and mount the telly on the wall etc, i am shit scared he will make an arse of it and wreck my house (which is only 2 wks old!)

i dont want him to make a mess of my walls. he can give me all the reassurance he will, but im still worried. if he does do a good job it will be fab, but im expecting to have to call in an expert to repair the walls!

has anyone done this successfully? i need reassurance it can be done

okapi Thu 16-Jun-05 13:49:39

A friend of mine has done this - he is very good at DIY though.

Ours is free-standing asd is easy to tilt so that eveyone gets a good view of the screen regardless of where they're sitting

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:50:52

we would like to wall mount it because the room is quite small and so therefore would free up floor space. dh is fairly good at diy

desperatehousewife Thu 16-Jun-05 13:51:56

I want one more than life itself - waiting for the price to come down a bit though. I think they are sex on a wall. Where did you get yours from? Good luck!

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:53:18

saw one in currys and then bought it on the web for £500 cheaper! dont know where from, do you want me to ask dh? hes on msn

Mum2Ela Thu 16-Jun-05 13:53:59

It'll be fine. Mum and Dad have got a 48 inch on in their kitchen on the wall. Many of our friends have done it too, none of them have cocked it up.

I am on the lookout for a 37 inch LCD tv at the mo. Where did you get yours from Nailpolish?

hunkermunker Thu 16-Jun-05 13:54:59

Is the house two weeks old to you or from being newly built? I thought you weren't meant to hang things on such fresh walls if the latter?

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:55:26

have they done it on a wall in a new build house? im worried its too thin a wall, not strong enough

desperatehousewife Thu 16-Jun-05 13:55:56

oooh yes please, could you ask him where he got it from. Really am keen to beat husband into submission until I get one! (spoilt brat me?! NO!)

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 13:56:30

give me a sec and ill do links

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 14:03:38

here

MoggyMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 15:06:25

DH bought one just last week. An alternative is to have ducting screwed to the wall - this covers up all the wires. It look great. The guys in the shop came and did it.

vickiyumyum Thu 16-Jun-05 15:15:34

we've got a 42" plasma on the play room wall, but had to have the tv lower than we wanted to hide wires behinda cabinet , because house is an old house with solid wall so would have meant gouging a bit out and replastering and have only just redecorated so didn't want to do that.

the one in the lounge is on a stand.

desperatehousewife Thu 16-Jun-05 16:15:11

Thanks Nailpolish. Sadly think DH will balk at the cost. Will wait til they are cheap!

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:00:38

DH, there are cheaper ones, hope you get one soon!

moggy, what do you mean by ducting? im sure dh will know, but i dont!

dyzzidi Thu 16-Jun-05 17:06:19

My DP 'Hides' all our wires. With regards to a plasma TV the only reason we have not got one is that we have not found one with a warranty for more than three years! Something to do with the gas inside I think. They may be available with longer warranties now this was about two years ago.!

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:06:49

how does he hide them?

lalaa Thu 16-Jun-05 17:07:03

we've done it successfully, as part of a bigger updating job. dh loves it and I think it's ok but don't like the tele much anyway and I hate this one being a 'feature' in our sitting room.

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:08:02

i know what you mean, i have learnt to love thy telly, its dh's pride and joy. i just want it to look neat and tidy, cables annoy me

JoolsToo Thu 16-Jun-05 17:08:17

I'd heard LCD screens last longer?

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:09:14

actually, i think it is an lcd

oh what do i know! all i want to do is hide the cables!

coldtea Thu 16-Jun-05 17:18:03

I've got one mounted on a high wall in my conservetory.

As we had this built at the same time we bought the telly we were lucky enough to get the builder to put the wires in a metal case then as he plastered the wall he plastered over the case with the wires.

Don't worry ours went onto a new wall & was fine it will look great

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:21:12

oh great CT thanks,

dyzzidi Thu 16-Jun-05 17:29:58

My DP does two things He mainly cuts a small hole where the wires go into the wall ( behing the TV etc) then pokes then down inside the wall to the plug socket and wires them into that somehow. He is an Electrician and I'm embarassed to say I never watch him work. In the old house he dug out parts of the wall and replastered but this was while we were plastering anyway.

nailpolish Thu 16-Jun-05 17:30:55

ill pass that on to dh. he was planning on creating canals along the plasterboard! heavens above

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: