Talk

Advanced search

How to Turn up trousers?

(12 Posts)
super1971 Wed 15-Jun-05 15:28:02

i am a short arse and need to know how to actually do this as icannot buy trousers and now enugh is enough, i have machine but how is it done so it looks good?, cheers

super1971 Wed 15-Jun-05 15:28:31

sorry for such a dull thread

Milliways Wed 15-Jun-05 15:37:33

I give mine to my mun still (or use Wonderweb!)

super1971 Wed 15-Jun-05 15:39:46

you are making me jealous!, i have not bought trousers for years and now have a pair of linen ones but need to turn them up easy i thougth but now am trying to do it but not sure how and cant afford to send them to the dry cleaners.

nikcola Wed 15-Jun-05 15:43:42

wonder web!!!!

binkie Wed 15-Jun-05 15:43:50

How about this addictive site

jangly Wed 15-Jun-05 15:48:54

If they are at all flared you will need to unpick the side seam a little way and then open it up v shaped before turning up and hemming. Use stitches that catch a single thrad of the material each time so it does not show through.

jangly Wed 15-Jun-05 15:49:26

thread not thrad

tarantula Wed 15-Jun-05 15:51:02

It depends on the type of trousers. I ahve just bought a pair of linen ones too which are a bit too long. they are fairly baggy tho not tailored so makes it easier. Id go for had sewing rather than machining as its mush easier to adjust as you go along or use wonder web as suggested here its fab stuff.

I think it depends on how much you need to turn them up (do you need to cut them) and also do the trousers taper in or out at the bottom (if out then its easy just add a tuck in the hem, if in then much tricker as you may need to undo the hem at the side a bit)

Does that help at all?

super1971 Wed 15-Jun-05 15:53:29

how do i decide if i need to cut them - sorry dont know i need to take them up two inches i folded it up but you can see the bulge but i was hoping to iron it out

tarantula Wed 15-Jun-05 15:53:37

Or you could be really lazy like me and just roll em up as I cant actually be arsed to sew them.

tarantula Wed 15-Jun-05 15:55:56

what Id do is pin and then iron the hem line that you want and see how it looks. If its really bulky then I reckon you may need to cut a bit to get a neater hem. But be wary of cutting too much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now