Talk

Advanced search

Nanny Share Family want to make proper friends - WWYD?

(5 Posts)
SycamoretreeIsVile Thu 29-Oct-09 17:01:44

We have just entered into a nanny share with a family who answered an advert online. All is going well (we are a month in now) but they are pushing for us to go and visit with them on a weekend. I just don't know how to handle it. It' not like we think they're unlikeable people, but neither are they particularly folks we'd choose to make friends with if it wasn't for our childcare arrangement.

I was hoping we could just keep things quite business like between us but I don't want to offend anyone. However, I work FT and long hours so I really don't want to feel like I'm spending my valuable weekend time doing "the right thing". I know it might just be a one off, but what if it's more. What if they keep asking?

I'd love to find a way to politely decline. I've sort of ignored the invite once, but a second request has been made so I can't ignore it any longer.

WWYD?

Uriel Thu 29-Oct-09 17:05:08

Can't you do a 'oh, how lovely of you to offer, but our weekends are bursting with granny/horse riding/Ben's conker competitions/building a new steam engine...

Or is that what you did the first time?

SycamoretreeIsVile Fri 30-Oct-09 08:37:53

Sorry to post and run! Work got really busy.

I just sort of ignored that part of the email first time round so I could go for that approach and see. She just did that thing of saying if not this date, then which date will suit sort of thing, instead of giving me a get out clause...which is what I tend to do in these situations.

Hmm.

FlamingoBingo Fri 30-Oct-09 09:06:10

Oh <groan>

I hate these things. Our time is very precious too and I hate it when people want to meet up who are very lovely people, but not lovely enough for us to want to use up time on them IYSWIM. And I don't mean 'waste time' because that's really horrible, but if you really are very busy, then you want to use every spare minute doing things you especially want to do.

I don't know what the answer is, I'm afraid!

Maybe meet up with them and then, before you leave, say 'we must do this again' and you set the date at that time and set a precedent of meeting up once every 3 months or something IYSWIM, before they get a chance to ask you to meet up sooner!

BlurredBoundaries Fri 30-Oct-09 14:51:33

Tell them you are swingers and that you'd love to 'get together' wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now