Talk

Advanced search

do you drive or live with somone who drives a motorbike?

(13 Posts)
Tortington Wed 15-Jun-05 13:18:30

right this sounds daft but dh cant drive and both of us want to learn to ride a motorbike.
the daft bt is this - when you ring up a driving school they come pick you up in their car - you dont need a car - do youhave to buy a bike to have lessons? do they have the written test? ddoes my driving licence exclude me from written test < i know stretching>

how does it work. how muchish does it cost?

ta

Yorkiegirl Wed 15-Jun-05 13:21:58

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Wed 15-Jun-05 13:22:30

Message withdrawn

pedilia Wed 15-Jun-05 13:22:53

the motorbike test cost dh about £500 in total, the centre will provide a bike for you, but you have to get to the test centre, you will have to do the theory test as for car drivers and you cannot take the practical without passing this first.

It is as demanding time/money wise as learning to drive !

ogri Wed 15-Jun-05 13:23:22

i have a bike and so does hubby.
no you can go to a school to teach biking and they will have their own bikes you can use.
my hubby used to do instructing.
i did a week intensive course 8 years ago and you do the test at the end of the week, it is probably about 400-5oo quid now, but a very quick way of going through it.
have you had a look through your yellow pages for biking schools?
let us know if you want to know anymore

BadgerBadger Wed 15-Jun-05 13:27:41

I'm going to do my direct access soon too.

I'm going to book into a guaranteed pass centre, so that if I do fail (hope not, I've had bikes before!) it wont go on costing to retake the test.

It is pricey though. I'm still weighing up the pro's and con's, I really want a bike again, but I have got a car so it'd be a luxury, which I'm having trouble justifying (this week ).

Ellbell Wed 15-Jun-05 13:29:22

Custardo, I think that your car licence does get you off the written test, but I'm not sure, because they keep changing the rules. My dh rides a bike and I've thought of getting one because I spend so much of my time stuck in a traffic jam and/or looking for a parking space. You need to check up on the rules of what you can/can't do (it depends WHEN you got your car licence too, I think). If I did it, I'd do my CBT and then get a little 125 and ride around on it for a while to get my confidence up before taking my full test. But I think you can only do this if you've had a car licence for more than 'x' years (not sure what 'x' is, though). You can choose to take your test on a bigger bike (which sounds like what Yorkiegirl did) or on a smaller one (125?) in which case you are restricted to riding smaller bikes (but not just 125s, I think...) for (I think) 2 years afterwards.

Hmmmm... reading this all back I can see it's a bit vague. Sorry. Will talk to dh tonight and get back to you if no-one else has come up with anything more coherent!

Ellbell Wed 15-Jun-05 13:30:44

LOL! Took so long writing that that about 5 people did come up with something more coherent while I was thinking about it!

Ellbell Wed 15-Jun-05 13:30:45

LOL! Took so long writing that that about 5 people did come up with something more coherent while I was thinking about it!

NoPearls Wed 15-Jun-05 13:40:51

Ogri - that's a good biking name! Takes me back...

Tortington Wed 15-Jun-05 13:42:19

thanks - it would be a double nay triple bonus if i didn't have to do a written test. i ahve had my license for err. either 10 or 12 years.

cwoor bit pricey though innit! i like the idea of a week long pass you test and the end thing - i would book a week off work it would be like a holiday would love to go into work in leathers - they are all so fkin anal <cough> sorry!

okapi Wed 15-Jun-05 13:50:26

found the DSA website info here

says it's £70 to £100 to get CBT

MABS Wed 15-Jun-05 19:07:11

email me any questions you like m'dear. Dh has a massive Triumph and I hate it, but he knows lots about bloody bikes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now