Talk

Advanced search

Would you take your DC's out of school for a year to travel?

(18 Posts)
FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Thu 22-Oct-09 22:18:09

If so what ages do you think would be the best time and where would be must sees for you.

OnceWasMummyPig Thu 22-Oct-09 22:23:14

Oh yes I definitely would. Anywhere other than our home country would be worth it. I think I would wait until our youngest was about 7 so he would appreciate it more, and be just about responsible enough for such a big journey. That would make the older ones 11 and 13.

thedollshouse Thu 22-Oct-09 22:24:55

Yes! Agree with OnceWasMummyPig regarding the ages.

We took a year out before having children and it would be an absolute dream to do it again with children in tow.

Hulababy Thu 22-Oct-09 22:25:32

Yes would. Probably up to GCSE age depending on circumstances at the time/

Hulababy Thu 22-Oct-09 22:25:54

Meant up til starting GCSE - so Y9.

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Thu 22-Oct-09 22:27:01

So 10 and 12 would be good then (although that is some time away), has been a dream which we may be able to do now with careful planning.

overmydeadbody Thu 22-Oct-09 22:32:18

YYes definately

Must sees would be most of the world lol

charmander Thu 22-Oct-09 22:36:05

We did it with ds1 aged 7 and ds2 age 5. Went to Canada, California, Mexico. Peru, Chile, Easter Island, Aus, New Zealand and Hong Kong. Was supposed to be for a year but came back sooner because I was expecting ds3.

Would do it again if we got the chance. Boys learnt loads, had a great time.

About to emigrate to NZ or Canada.

tilbatilba Thu 22-Oct-09 22:57:35

Yes. We did it with our 6&7 year old daughters. It was the most fantastic year of adventures and total freedom. We spent a year on the road around Australia. Just a warning ....it does get addictive though as we had 6 months away later the following year and we are taking off for the year again next year as they will be 10 & 11 (11&12 when we finish) and dd1's last year of primary school.

I really don't know what a best age is though I was very glad ours had finished with nappies! I am amazed how much the girls remember of the first journey around Aust. It was such fun, they talk about it a lot. They also kept journals which are favourite reading now.

Where are you thinking of going??

tilbatilba Fri 23-Oct-09 10:26:22

Where would be the must sees......the things our children enjoyed most were the beaches,rockpools, the gorges,billabongs and the bush. We travelled pretty slowly and I think that made a big difference to how we enjoyed the year on the road.
I am not sure at that age how much they would have enjoyed Europe or a more touristy route. I think the best advice is to keep it all simple and VERY flexible. Tilba x

tilbatilba Fri 23-Oct-09 10:26:25

Where would be the must sees......the things our children enjoyed most were the beaches,rockpools, the gorges,billabongs and the bush. We travelled pretty slowly and I think that made a big difference to how we enjoyed the year on the road.
I am not sure at that age how much they would have enjoyed Europe or a more touristy route. I think the best advice is to keep it all simple and VERY flexible. Tilba x

BloodRedTulips Fri 23-Oct-09 10:30:22

in a heartbeat if we had the money grin

if you can do it go for it, the west coast of america is stunnning and there are some sights there that would stay with them for life, from what i've heard new zealand and australia are similar.

bring them somewhere completely out of your comfort zones as well.

MarshaBrady Fri 23-Oct-09 10:36:38

Out of interest how does it work.

Do the dc repeat the year they missed or go up to next grade?

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Fri 23-Oct-09 12:55:27

Have no idea, that will be part of the research.

Europe esp Scandinavia as somwhere I want to go and south France, Italy, Egypt, South Africa, Zanzibar, South America, America all over, Oz and New Zealand.

charmander Fri 23-Oct-09 18:20:00

According to my boys the best beaches are in Easter Island, so if you go to S America and New Zealand I recommend calling in there. They remember the giant heads.

The things that we all enjoyed were mostly "natural" rather than cultural, except for Machu Pichu (good for hide and seek).
All of Australia was great unless it was too hot. In fact the only place we were not too keen on was the capital of Tahiti, and Hong Kong wasok but not really our kind of place.

wanttostartafresh Fri 23-Oct-09 18:26:10

I would love to do this with our DC's, but am worried about what school would say. Would they lose their place? (School is VERY oversubscribed), what year would they go into once we got back? What's it like for the kids settling back into normal life after a year off?

tilbatilba Sun 25-Oct-09 13:10:07

Our kids just slotted back....we home schooled for the 3 years we travelled and it hasn't made any difference to them academically. They have been put into their year levels according to age. We are in Australia so it might be different but the school wasn't at all phased by them having not attended for three years. They both ended up having to do national assessments within weeks of returning to school and were both 3 years above their grade level in literacy and numeracy.
They have a huge circle of friends and have made friends easily at their new school.. integrating back wasn't an issue at all. Just go for it !

wanttostartafresh Sun 25-Oct-09 16:01:28

Thanks tilbatilba, I have a horrible feeling things might not be as straightforward with schools here in England. But will look into it nevertheless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now