Talk

Advanced search

Can i 'Change' my dd's godparents???

(31 Posts)
Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 23:45:01

if i dont reply, ive gone to bed

but since dd was born the three people('friend', her mum and her dad) havent seen diddly squat of Eve and there are two other people that have been my rock!!, can i? and if so, how can i change dd's god parents??

TIA

MarsLady Mon 13-Jun-05 23:49:08

Yes!

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 23:50:16

how?

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 23:50:38

and do i have to tell present god parents???

MarsLady Mon 13-Jun-05 23:53:48

Well I have no idea if this can be done officially or not, but (in a similar vein to another thread that I posted on) when DD1's godparents proved to be a load of rubbish, I decided to dump them and appoint new ones. I told the new ones. Didn't bother telling the old ones cos they were never around, never called etc etc and I believed that my gorgeous daughter deserved better. And that was that!

Yorkiegirl Mon 13-Jun-05 23:57:14

Message withdrawn

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 23:58:32

yes thats exactly what i thought!
present go parents dont give dd the time of day and i even told my good friend a while ago when she asked who out of godparents i would want to look after Eve..i said her!
i would re select my Friend Donna and my SIL..just gunna have to contact registry office to find out if i can do it officially then maybe take evryone out for meal or something?to celebrate?

SaintGeorge Tue 14-Jun-05 00:14:45

Godparents have no official status so have nothing to do with the registry office. If you want to change them do it. If you want to celebrate it hold a party. No need to inform anyone.

jabberwocky Tue 14-Jun-05 06:17:46

Yes, definitely.

We were told when we appointed potential guardians that we needed a backup. I have since changed my mind as to our backup couple. Told the new ones but won't tell the others. After all, if it comes to pass, I won't be here to worry about it

flamesparrow Tue 14-Jun-05 07:59:21

I am a second choice god parent!

When Psychomum had her youngest christened, she decided that she wanted the rest of her brood to have godparents who actually saw them, and who they cared about, so each child got to pick their own godparent, and the vicar added in a little dedication bit to the ceremony... not rechristening them, but just sort of announcing that we were the ones chosen to be their special people.

It was really nice.

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 08:30:07

ok, so if i dont need to contact registry office, do i have to contact the church? i would like something 'official' to give them???and want to make it a bit special as dont want them to think i change my mind like the weather??

acnebride Tue 14-Jun-05 09:18:56

I think this is an interesting idea evesmama and if i were you I would contact the vicar who baptised eve and have a chat with them - maybe there could be a prayer one sunday for eve's godparents. if i were the vicar i'd be glad you were taking the godparent issue seriously.

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 09:20:58

thanks, just tried getting details for church, but nothing listed, so will look for the number...dont regulary go to church, but wanted Eve to have someone around her who genuinly cared for her...priest didnt say we had to attend every week, in fact we have moved quite a distance away, just wnder how he would react???

mears Tue 14-Jun-05 09:27:43

A question here. If you do not go to Church regularly, why do you want to involve Church with regard to new Godparents? One of the roles a Godparent agrees to is to ensure child is familiar with the Church and to attend regularly. I am not criticising you because my children have Godparents but none of them attend the Church. It would seem to me that really all you need is some kind of celebration at home where friends are named as new Godparents.

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 09:30:11

i just wondered if i could get the names changed officially..personally, i feel my dd it too young to go everyweek, but will support her in all ways when she begins nursery.

seems i cant change them on catholic records anyway

leahbump Tue 14-Jun-05 09:33:45

You can do what you want unofiicially...and can even buy a new certificate from a christian bookshop like SPCK....and God parent certificates too!!

However- I am not sure you can do this officially as Not all churches keep record of who the godparents were anyway....and tbh the church doesn't use that information anyway and they don't need to know. ALl the church has to do is keep register of the baby (person being baptised) and parents names along with the date so that if the baby wants to be confirmed as an adult there is a way of checking that they have been baptised! (and also of providing replacement certificates when they are lost)

HTH

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 09:44:40

that is ^really helpful actually
i love the idea of being able to give them something official..just have to hope they say yes now!!!

leahbump Tue 14-Jun-05 09:48:12

if you get stuck finding certificates just CAT me and I'll get you some!

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 10:02:54

ive found some on google, but want something cuter, ones ive found seem more like sypathy ones???, with have a look in catholic shop in town when i next go in...like you for your offer and your help

leahbump Tue 14-Jun-05 10:16:13

PS- not seen many cute ones (I am in the business as such!) so you might want to produce something on the computer and print it onto some nice card!

good luck

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 11:16:08

thanks leah..will still have a luck in holy shop though...but do you print them/design them??

Thomcat Tue 14-Jun-05 11:21:09

I fell out with one of Lotties Godmothers so made made another close friend Godmother instead. Didn't bother telling ex-freind as didn't want to make any contact with her, and as neither of the 2 friends involved actually go to church I didn't bother making it official.

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 11:22:36

did you just ask her??or did you 'do' something special to mark it???

p.s...hope bumps groeing well

Thomcat Tue 14-Jun-05 11:27:27

I asked her (she was delighted, wish I'd asked her before, felt so bad) and we had a little party so she felt it was real iykwim.

Evesmama Tue 14-Jun-05 11:30:14

that sounds just right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now