Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a teacher doing long hours, masters and kids?

(13 Posts)
hercules1 Tue 20-Oct-09 20:34:59

Is it doable? I am part of the lmt, work long hours, have 2 kids but would love to start a masters. It would be 13 hours a week commitment and all distant learning.
Is it doable or not?

The topic would really interest me, help my current and future career.

emkana Tue 20-Oct-09 20:39:17

Wow from where I'm sitting I couldn't imagine it at all, time-wise, but I'm sure it is doable - I think it was moondog who combined study, work, kids and a dh away most of the time? Maybe track her down for advice? good luck!

itchyandscratchy Tue 20-Oct-09 20:40:49

It's doable I spose but it might well send you completely do-lally.

I've put my MEd off again this year because I think it will adversely affect my ability to cope with the dds, the job I have now (not LT but am doing job with whole-school responsibility) and my sanity.

But if you really want it, you know the demands and you think you can cope with it as well as your existing LMT and teaching commitments, then go for it. Only you can decide if you're up to it.

itchyandscratchy Tue 20-Oct-09 20:42:45

I didn't mean 'cope with the dds' to sound like they are a handful- they're great - but I just want to see them at the end of a busy day and spend time with them, as they're still young (8 and 4). Maybe when they're a few years older?

hercules1 Tue 20-Oct-09 20:47:41

I feel I am itching to do it but not sure where I'd get the hours to do it from. I have a supportive lmt and it would hugely help my career both in the immediate time and future so very tempting. I wonder if I need to be more smart with my time re work.

emkana Tue 20-Oct-09 20:55:14

what does lmt stand for?

hercules1 Tue 20-Oct-09 20:56:12

leadership and management team

ParanoiaBigPumkinDestroyer Tue 20-Oct-09 20:56:15

I was about to start an MA(Ed) with the OU when I discovered I was pg. DS is 9 and baby is now 8 months. I think the age your children are - presumably the 4 year old is close to starting school - it would just about be manageable and as you say it will reap dividends for you all if you get promotion while your children are still young. I think it also depends if you think you can do the study once the DCs are in bed and give up time at the weekend, as well as keep up with your school work and the evening commitments school has. I don't think there is ever the right time to study.

bramblebooks Tue 20-Oct-09 21:25:48

Yes. I'm currently on my second M.Ed. Must be mad!

Did the first one as CPD and ended up with a masters in SEN education. It wasn't easy and I had to be very organised (and occasionally hire a one off cleaner!). It has enhanced my teaching and understanding no end. The course was fab as it was very practical and hands on in terms of research projects.

I'm now doing a course at masters level with the OU which feels so much easier now I've got the hang of the style of writing.

hercules1 Wed 21-Oct-09 07:19:48

Bramblebooks - how did you get the necessary hours in? I am trying to think where I'd get 12-13 hours from.

bramblebooks Wed 21-Oct-09 09:35:03

I timetabled them into my week and made sure that DH knew! I negotiated a couple of nights where he was totally on duty from after work so I could study, I then went to the uni library or locked myself in a room in the house so that I was out of the way and could concentrate. The children were also made aware I was studying.

My smallest was 3 when I started.

There are times when you'll need to trickle the study by keeping on top of the reading and at other times you'll need to spend a weekend blitzing an essay.

Got a day off today so going to do some studying (good way of avoiding housework).

I also used a local company who do one off cleans to blitz the house now and again as that was getting me down.

hercules1 Wed 21-Oct-09 10:52:09

Thanks. That's helpful smile

hercules1 Sun 25-Oct-09 17:41:48

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now