Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need a bit of advice on an insurance claim.

(13 Posts)
Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 13:44:33

We're claiming on our house insurance to replace our sofa that our delightful dog chewed through.

The loss adjuster came out this morning and has no problem in letting the claim go through.

I had called a couple of upholsterers as the sofa is leather and he's put 2 holes in it but just on one arm. They basically said that it will cost around £400 but there's no g'tee on a colour and grain match.
We told this to the LA and he agreed that because the sofa cost £800 in a sale it would be easier to replace than repair.

Obviously we were quite happy with that until he said they would only give us vouchers to spend at either Argos or Debenhams and as you will know, the only way to buy sofas from these stores is on-line so you can't try them out.

I'm not too bothered about it but dh is not happy. He seems to think that we could call insurers back up and ask to get vouchers for somewhere else like DFS.

My question is do you think they will wear that and have any of you had to do this?

Tissy Mon 13-Jun-05 13:49:54

It's worth a try! I would have thought it unreasonable to expect you to buy an expensive piece of furniture without trying it, so can't understand why they will only give vouchers to spend there.

Maybe they're wary of giving out cash incase you spend the money on a holiday and live with the old sofa, so if you get a receipt for the new sofa, they may cough up?

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 13:52:25

He said the reason they give vouchers is bascially because of fraud and that it's cheaper if they have "contract" with Argos and Debenhams.

Am really not bothered about having cash in hand I would just like a nice new sofa.

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 13:55:23

NBG - My friend is insurance claim queen! They will always try to restrict you to a retailer. You can refuse and suggest another retailer.... and give your reasons. They should go for it, just stand your ground.

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 14:09:11

Might try it then.

If we were claiming for something else then I wouldn't have a problem but how are you supposed to know if the sofa's comfy or not?

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 14:41:00

Where did you buy the original, Nbg?

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 14:46:50

It was from DFS and it was bought in sept 2003 so not even 2 yr old.

The only other problem we have is that the sofa is black and we have a matching leather recliner armchair. It wasn't a set and the chair came from a different store but they do match.

We had a look at Debenehams and Argos this morning and they don't really have anything that would match. The ones that do match are into the £1000's and after our excess is deducted we'll only have £700.

SaintGeorge Mon 13-Jun-05 14:48:18

Don't see why you cant insist that the vouchers are at least valid for the place of original purchase.

Janh Mon 13-Jun-05 14:50:15

They are supposed to restore you to where you were before whatever it was happened, so them not letting you buy from the original shop must be wrong. Of course your sofa may not be available any more anyway but you should have the choice to go back to DFS. (IMHO )

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 14:52:24

If Debenhams and Argos gave you the facility of actually sitting on their sofas that would be ok but there is a big difference between Argos' sofa's and Debenhams.

I think I'll give them a call.

spacecadet Mon 13-Jun-05 15:19:00

i would contact them again and make a fuss, tell them the original sofawas from dfs and you would like to replace it from dfs, tell them, you dont mind vouchers, you are not pushing for cash, also explain that you cannot buy an equvilant sofa to the one you are clainming for from argos or debenhams.

spacecadet Mon 13-Jun-05 15:19:26

assuming you have new for old cover???

Nbg Mon 13-Jun-05 15:35:28

Well my claims mgr has just rung back and said that he has had Debenhams vouchers posted to us already and that he will give us a cash settlement

30% less than the total amount

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now