Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever reported someone for pavement parking outside their own house?

(94 Posts)
MistressMary Sun 12-Jun-05 23:50:25

Well someone has done this to me.
Fair enough if it was in town or heavy built up area and with only one pavement on the road.
But outside in a quiet cul de sac with narrow road with pavement on either side of the road?
Hmmmmm..
So now park on the road and difficult for neighbours to reverse out of their driveway.
Fair cop gov though a bit petty maybe?

Blu Mon 13-Jun-05 00:20:18

No, I wouldn't waste the time and cost of phonecall! Anyway, we have over-vigilant wardens - sorry parking attendants' in our area who can spot a tenth of a tyre on a kerb from a mile away. Are you sure you were reported, not just copped?

Why do you thnk you have been reported? Was there room on the pavement to get a buggy through easily? Is there ongoing aggro in your street about the state of pavements and someone doesn't want it roughing up further? Ongoing aggro about any aspect of parking? Are you the only 4x4 owner in the village? Or victim of random mad busybody?

Blu Mon 13-Jun-05 00:22:42

I did throw all DS's sticky litter through the open window of a car parked on the pavement so that I had to struggle through a spiky hedge to get the buggy through...

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 00:23:46

LOL - I'd love to see people do that on THIS street. It's quiet most of the day (except school run times) . BUT (and it's a big but) if residents on both sides of the street park 'on the road' instead of the kerb - then it would COMPLETELY block the road up! - as it is with our side of the street parking well up on the kerb (leaving just enough room for a single buggy) delivery lorries have got stuck going up and down the street - not to mention the poor rubbish van!

MistressMary Mon 13-Jun-05 09:23:31

If it was a parking attendant it's the first time in history that they have walked this street.
There was room enough for me and my toddler to toddle through as he gets out that side of the car in the first place.
And elsewhere on the estate cars remain to sit on pavements.
Time will tell.

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 09:25:40

MM - Phoning the police is a tad extreme!! Did anyone speak to you about it first?

i'd be inclined to mention it to my neighbour if it was annoying me, but not phone the police! lol.

compo Mon 13-Jun-05 09:26:16

We once had a policeman knock on the door because we had parked on the pavement. We had no argument with it because it is illegal. Even if there is enough room to squeeze a pushchair through what about a double pushcahir, wheelchair or one of the mobile wheelcahir thingies?

Flossam Mon 13-Jun-05 09:28:41

Sorry MM, but as a predestrian this does do my head in. I am sure you left enough space for people to pass, but all to often people don't. It's even harder now with the buggy. Why should I have to walk out on to the road to get around a car parked on the pavement? I mean WTF?! Likewise I don't see why I should cross the road for it either. The pavement is my right of way. If I went and stood in the road for you to drive around me I would expect beeping horns and multiple expletives. Having said that I haven't ever reported anyone for it and can understand how annoying it is. Just thought I'd add my viewpoint!

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 09:33:09

Oh I never noticed that bit. I have actually reported a van for sitting on the pavement every morning when I was walking to the train station. He would park so far onto the pavement that I couldn't get a buggy through the gap. This was on a VERY busy main road and mneant I had to walk onto the road on a blind bend! Very dangerous. I left a note on the windscreen, but that had no effect, so I phoned the police.

Sorry..

I think you're situation is a bit different though and less severe.

Flossam Mon 13-Jun-05 09:34:43

But then, if a rule is applied it should be applied to all scenarios really, shouldn't it?

QueenFlounce Mon 13-Jun-05 09:37:30

Yes Flossam. But I don't think iut would havew angered me so much if it hadn't meant me walking onto a main road in rush hour. I probably would have left it as a mild annoyance rather than a major risk and I wouldn't have phoned the police.

I'm sure I looked up the highway could and it said that you could park on the pavement only if you left adequate room for say a wheelchair to pass.

Satine Mon 13-Jun-05 09:38:44

People in our village park right up on the pavenment (so that it's sometimes hard for an adult to squeeze past) so that they are as close as possible to the door of the pub rather than using the big and clearly marked car park that is 50 yards up the road! Happens all day every weekend and means we all have to walk in the road. SO thoughtless!

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 09:41:44

Why should I have to walk out on to the road to get around a car parked on the pavement? I mean WTF?! Likewise I don't see why I should cross the road for it either. The pavement is my right of way.

But what if the road is only wide enough for 2 cars to drive up with no space either side of them, then it's a residential street with no off street parking.......meaning that short of blocking the WHOLE road up with cars - residents on one side of the street HAVE to park up on the kerb????

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 09:44:01

I'm so going to report everyone on my street now I know you can do this!!

Although they'd probably attack the house with flaming excrement and molotov cocktails.

Gwenick Mon 13-Jun-05 09:45:14

fastasleep - I think I might report all the cars in the whole area, they're all narrow streets with only enough space to park 'one side' on the road.......

fastasleep Mon 13-Jun-05 09:46:23

Gwenick I think you have a death-wish, you should seek medical help

MistressMary Mon 13-Jun-05 09:47:14

Yes it is thoughtless I do agree Satine if I had blocked off the entire pavement.
I would have preferred the person to knock on my door to be honest and correct me.

Blu Mon 13-Jun-05 09:55:00

Gwenick - are all the cars residents cars or are they commuters etc?

I still think the problem is one for drivers, and doesn't give them the right to just co-opt the pavement. I have a car - but I think that pedestrians rights are getting eroded by the day.

Get the council to put some 'passing places' in - short stretches of double yellows?

Hausfrau Mon 13-Jun-05 09:57:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MistressMary Mon 13-Jun-05 10:01:11

No space outside my gaff.

Blu Mon 13-Jun-05 10:04:45

But none of us has any right to any particular stretch of road, do we? It's just public road.

Mosschops30 Mon 13-Jun-05 10:05:25

Message withdrawn

Flossam Mon 13-Jun-05 10:07:12

But Gwenwick, it is illegal for one. DP is a policeman and it is classed as obstruction. If your scenario is the case then you should right to the council to see what could be done, or if possible give up your front garden as a driveway. Sorry but you gave made me

Flossam Mon 13-Jun-05 10:07:46

right, =write.

SaintGeorge Mon 13-Jun-05 10:08:19

Gwenick - if the road is narrow and parking on both sides would block the street, you will probably find that there are 'one side only' parking restrictions anyway - it's just that people ignore them.

If there isn't room to park without causing an obstruction to road users or pedestrians then by rights people should drive on and find a spot elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now