Talk

Advanced search

Crap things that the Labour Government has done in the last 12 years.

(54 Posts)
MrsMerryHenry Sun 11-Oct-09 17:43:08

As I said in Thread 1: let's have a balanced perspective. So: let it allllll out, people.

Wonderstuff Sun 11-Oct-09 17:47:17

Fucked the economy
Treated us all like morons
Damaged pensions
Lied
Iraq War

At least the tories are honest about being twats.

Heated Sun 11-Oct-09 18:09:28

Pensions. My father is 72 and still works full time.

Heated Sun 11-Oct-09 18:11:07

Sent soldiers to Iraq and Afghanistan without sufficient equipment or a clear exit strategy.

pleasechange Sun 11-Oct-09 18:14:00

Allowing the banking industry to destroy the economy while basking in the glory of so-called good times

Not stashing away more funds when times were good

Putting Gordon Brown in after Tony Blair

moondog Sun 11-Oct-09 18:17:45

'At least the tories are honest about being twats'

grin

FakePlasticTrees Sun 11-Oct-09 18:18:17

Sold gold at lowest point

Viewing credit boom as growth

Heated Sun 11-Oct-09 18:19:37

Rises in knife crime

Failing social services depts & some truly horrific child abuse cases.

Being worst place to bring up children in a UN survey.

MarthaFarquhar Sun 11-Oct-09 18:21:42

tuition fees

abra1d Sun 11-Oct-09 18:21:51

Taxing pensions dividends. How stupid is that--penalising people who are trying to be self-sufficient and not rely on the over-burdened stage pension?

Heated Sun 11-Oct-09 18:22:58

Soaring cost of living - food, utilities, bills

scarletlilybug Sun 11-Oct-09 18:24:47

University tuition fees.
Dumbed-down A-levels, GCSEs, etc.
Iraq.
Huge National Debt.
Raided pension funds.
Sold 60% of gold reserves when gold at a low price.
Negligible taxes for the mega-rich.
Early Years Foundation Stage.
Signed the Lisbon treaty without giving the promised referendum.
Massive growth in quangos.
Giving Mandelson a peerage to prop up Brown's failing leadership.
No proper supervision of banking industry (removed BofE's supervisory role.)
Halved frequency of Prime Mininster's Question Time.

Heated Sun 11-Oct-09 18:25:36

Changing the way interest rates are calculated by taking out housing costs (mortgage and council tax, the two highest bills for many households)

Wonderstuff Sun 11-Oct-09 18:32:12

Lets not forget the disaster (however well meaning) that is both the CTC system and the CSA..
Closing all the post offices (though I'm sure the tories would have done that too)

It is not so much that they brought in tuition fees (campaigned against it in 97 and the decision was actually pretty popular amoungst many students at the time sadly) it was the massive deal pre-election they made of promising that the fees wouldn't go up, stating they had 'legisltated against' this happening then immediatly after the election increasing them. The massive bare faced lie and total disrespect for the electorate. angry

When is this election due anyway?

fembear Sun 11-Oct-09 18:55:18

The culture of dependency.
There have been several threads recently where MNers have asked about cutting their working hours so that they can purposely get less pay and therefore pick up housing benefit or some such. What sort of society is it that makes it more financially rewarding to be on handouts instead earning your own keep?

edam Sun 11-Oct-09 18:59:37

one that pays parasites city bankers ££££££££££ while paying essential workers pennies, perhaps?

fembear Sun 11-Oct-09 20:43:29

Don't understand your point edam - are you arguing for or against?

Mortgaged our kids' future with PFI.

Lied about WMD. Caused the death of Dr David Kelly.

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 20:44:49

Interfered with education on an almost daily basis, without a rise in standards in schools.

GoppingOtter Sun 11-Oct-09 20:51:19

threads like this drive me nuts

I find it HARD to go to ANY town and NOT see huge amounts of rebuilding developing and modernising of all schools

In our town of 35000 ish ALL the schools have had huge projects undertaken in the last 12 years

shitty prefabs removed - the local comp doubled in size and thus facilities. A primary school re built entirely on a plot promised to it over 50 years ago

other primaries re landscaped - outdoor classrooms removed and lovely new extensions

taking kids into schools for over 12 years now i have seen this change

I wish parents would stop whingeing about what labour have not done and look at what they HAVE angry

nancy75 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:52:00

made it ilegal for me to look after my workmates child

MrsMerryHenry Sun 11-Oct-09 20:55:19

GoppingOtter - seen the other thread yet?? <<arms folded, taps foot>>

Ponders Sun 11-Oct-09 20:58:51

"made it ilegal for me to look after my workmates child"

they are looking at that though - following the petition - see here:

"The Childcare Act 2006 requires anyone providing ‘childcare for reward’ to register with Ofsted, with the aim of ensuring every child in a commercial childcare service is safe and well cared for. Parents would expect no less. However, our intention has always been that friends and families caring for children through informal arrangements should be exempt from having to register and we believed that was what always happened. In the light of this recent case we are talking to Ofsted about how we can make sure there’s a shared understanding with Ofsted, and with parents, of what the law means and how it should interpreted."

I think Ofsted have been over-enthusiastic in their interpretation hmm

GoppingOtter Sun 11-Oct-09 20:59:14

oh ok found it now!! blush

< now breathe Otter...>

MrsMerryHenry Sun 11-Oct-09 21:29:44

grin at Otter

fembear Sun 11-Oct-09 22:12:57

There's another crap thing: how many pieces of badly-drafted legislation have NuLab introduced?shock
Nice bit of blame-shifting when the real problem is the Govt's wooly wording.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now