Talk

Advanced search

You know if you delete something can you get it back ??

(16 Posts)
nutcracker Fri 10-Jun-05 13:23:47

I saved an email as a file i'd recieved, not in emails though if that makes sense.

Anyway I deleted it and now I want it back. Have checked the recycle bin but it's not there, have I lost it for good now ??

hunkermunker Fri 10-Jun-05 13:25:43

Is it still in your inbox?

Some things just get deleted straight away, not put in the recycle bin

tarantula Fri 10-Jun-05 13:26:16

At work or home?

jangus Fri 10-Jun-05 13:26:30

maybe you emptied your recycle bin. there is a way that you can reset your computer to the settings of a day and time in the past, in a way that it doesn't lose any new files but restores old ones. i have had to do that before, but im sure there is an easier way of recovering files.

hunkermunker Fri 10-Jun-05 13:27:14

Which operating system are you using? If it's Windows XP, you can do as Jangus says.

flatmouse Fri 10-Jun-05 13:28:18

If you search google looking for "recover deleted files" and the version of windows you're using - should come up with some freeware you can download which searches your hard drive for deleted items and gives you opportunity to restore them.

spacedonkey Fri 10-Jun-05 13:29:20

I was going to say the same as jangus - i.e. try System Restore if it's available on your PC (should be available if you're using XP and have System Restore switched on - go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore). I don't know if you can recover deleted files in this way but it could be worth a try.

Or get the person who sent the email to resend it?

nutcracker Fri 10-Jun-05 13:29:41

What i did was copy the email to a file and then i deleted the email from outlook express and deleted it from the recycle bin in OE too.

So then i just had the copy in the temp file but then I deleted that too.

I am using windows xp yeah but wouldn't have a clue how to do what you said Jangus.

Might it come up if i do a search for it ??

nutcracker Fri 10-Jun-05 13:30:34

Ok thanks all will try it.

Can't get them to resend so hopefully it will work.

nutcracker Fri 10-Jun-05 14:10:10

Right i'm back. Tried system restore but it didn't find it.

Nevermind, thanks anyway. Was my own fault for being hot headed.

jangus Fri 10-Jun-05 14:19:49

bump this up later and someone else might have another idea. sorry im no more use.

nutcracker Fri 10-Jun-05 14:21:39

No you were a great help, thanks. Have learnt something new at least anyway.

jangus Fri 10-Jun-05 14:22:14

you did go into
start
control panel
system
system restore
??

flatmouse Fri 10-Jun-05 14:23:16

Try this..
undelete files

Free trial.

jangus Fri 10-Jun-05 14:24:54

just to see if you had the system restore turned on?

SoupDragon Fri 10-Jun-05 15:34:35

IIRC, system restore will not recover that sort of deleted file, it restores your operating system.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: