Talk

Advanced search

is star wars suitable for a 5 yr old?

(24 Posts)
thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 17:52:42

as the title says really, never seen it but ds1 is keen to watch it after hearing his friend talking about it.
i am not sure i can bear to sit through it to checkfor suitability!!!1

epithet Fri 09-Oct-09 17:56:27

Ah, I'm wondering this too. Dds (6 and 4) want to watch it.

Geocentric Fri 09-Oct-09 17:56:46

Depends... the clone wars series is pretty bland and safe. The films themselves bring up a few issues - death, for instance. DS watched them when he was 6 and got pretty upset at a few scenes first time round - we had to sit with him and explain some things.

rosieposey Fri 09-Oct-09 17:58:29

My dad took me to see the original when i was 6 and i've been a massive fan ever since ( i even walked out of the church to the theme tune ) It depends on the child i think but on the whole they are probably suitable.

rachels103 Fri 09-Oct-09 17:58:32

My ds1 has been obsessed with Star Wars for quite some time, due to his dad and godfather being equally obsessed...he's 4 in November. I personally wouldn't have chosen to show it to him so young for the associated blasting / lightsabering, but it certainly isn't too scary.

Geocentric Fri 09-Oct-09 18:00:20

ps. would like to add that DS at almost 7 is a massive fan and wants to name his future children Luke and Leia!!!

I just think you may need to sit through it with them.

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 09-Oct-09 18:01:26

I think so - sit through it with him if you are too worried ..

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 18:02:34

ahh cool thanks. play have the first 2 trilogys for £15 each so potential christmas present for dp, and ds1 will get to watch it too lol

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 18:02:55

ahh cool thanks. play have the first 2 trilogys for £15 each so potential christmas present for dp, and ds1 will get to watch it too lol

abroadandmisunderstood Fri 09-Oct-09 18:10:22

We had the same dilemma here. We have slapped a 6yo age limit on the films. DS1 watched them at 4 and was a little afraid of some bits, so they are packed away and he can't wait until he is six!

BTW over here the classification is 12!!!! A bit overcautious I think, seeing as they were an integral part of our childhoods.

exexpat Fri 09-Oct-09 18:15:59

I think some in the series are more suitable than others - the original one is fine (if you are OK with not-too-up-close violence); the last one made, which I think is now officially no3 in the series, is rather more gruesome (eg massacred children, though you don't actually see them being killed, you see a room full of dead bodies...). I think that one has a different rating. I would just stick to the original one for now, and maybe watch the others in advance to check.

Puddingclub Fri 09-Oct-09 18:19:18

The first three are great!
Scary moments, but its mainly lightsabres and ugly monsters.
I let DS watch these from 3.5, with us. ITs a lot less horrible and violent than Ben 10 etc.

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 18:34:28

ok, i think i had better watch first just to make sure. he is fairly sensitive anyway,. scared of 101 dalmatians (when the burglars come) and the pirates in muppet treasure island, so it may be a bit early for him to watch them yet!!

thisisyesterday Fri 09-Oct-09 18:34:32

ok, i think i had better watch first just to make sure. he is fairly sensitive anyway,. scared of 101 dalmatians (when the burglars come) and the pirates in muppet treasure island, so it may be a bit early for him to watch them yet!!

junkcollector Fri 09-Oct-09 23:51:02

I have let DS1 (5), who is quite sensitive about lots of stuff, watch all of them except the last of the new ones (IYSWIM- the one where Anakin turns into Darth Vader). That one is a 12 anyway I think. He loves them.

brimfull Fri 09-Oct-09 23:53:39

ds watched some of it when he was 5

but he is a woos with fuck all atttention span for films so lost interest or got too scared ,couldn't bear to watch with him as I detest stuff like that

he's 7 now and still not intersted

PeachesMcLean Fri 09-Oct-09 23:55:46

Depends on the five year old and the episode. I'd say the 1970s ones are fine, but then DS is not what you'd call sensitive. He absolutely loves the ewoks.

I'm still unhappy about his watchign the one which is a 12 though. Dh doesn't see the problem hmm

OnceWasMummyPig Sat 10-Oct-09 00:14:55

I agree with most of the posters here. I have let my kids watch all of them except number 3 (revenge of the sith, the one where Annakin slaughters all the kids). Not something I want them to watch for a long time. I have told ds1 he can only see it when he's 12 as that's the certificate and he seems content to go along with it.

Ds1 (7) was keen on the Clone Wars film when it came out in the cinema, then I let them watch the 'older' films (Star Wars, Return of the Jedi and the Empire Strikes Back) and then because he was still keen he's just watched the first two.

Interestingly ds2 (5) isn't really that bothered about any of them. He will sit with his brother for a bit but then wander off to watch something else.

Clary Sat 10-Oct-09 00:26:44

The first one (ie the 4th in the series but the first one made) in fact the first 3 (Star wars, Empire, Jedi) are all rated PG.

IMO they are not wonderful for a 5yo but my DS2 (6yo) has seen some of it.

We got them for DS1 when he was about 7-8 so he could "play Star Wars" in the playground (didn't want him to be left out).

Actually IMHO the films are rather long and dull and certainly haven't engaged anyone in this house for the full 2 hrs.

There is a lot of shooting with guns if that bothers you. Otherwise pretty much OK tho.

The later 3 (ie the first 3 chronologically, ) are a different story and for older kids IMO. We don't have those at all. It is Revenge of the Sith that is rated a 12.

fortyplus Sat 10-Oct-09 00:48:32

I think it very much depends on the child. ds1 would have watched it quite happily at that age. ds2 would have watched it ok but then had nightmnares for weeks afterwards.

You know your child - that's why it says 'pg'

SlartyBartFast Sat 10-Oct-09 00:51:50

i think star wars is qutie boring at that age at my age !

vvvodka Sat 10-Oct-09 01:17:24

i watched the originals on video and massive fan. wehn episode one came out, i took then two year old ds to the cinema to watch it,,,, twice.

jabberwocky Sat 10-Oct-09 01:46:53

ds2 has seen all 6 and looooves them. He is 2.11. It really depends on the child. Ds1 still hasn't seen most of them. He's not interested and probably too sensitive. But as Joseph Campbell said "Star Wars is the myth of modern times" or something of that nature. And all mythology has its violent parts.

Geocentric Sat 10-Oct-09 18:19:52

Funnily enough, my DS was fine with Revenge of the Sith, but he cries every time he watches Return of the Jedi when Luke burns his father's body at the end. (though he says "don't look at me, I have something in my eye" 'cause he thinks he's too tough to cry at 6.11 hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now