Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Painting Kitchen Units

(8 Posts)
peckarollover Fri 10-Jun-05 09:19:29

Has anyone ever done it successfully or does it always look naff?

I would like to update my kitchen but cant justify replacing the whole units (there is lots of it and nothing wrong with it i just dont love the wood the peope before us used)

I have recently got a few cream enamel retro 50s stuff and am replacing kettle and toaster with a retro cream one and would love a retro fridge.

Could I do something with the units to tie all of this in? I would get it done professionally but would hate for it to look pants

JoolsToo Fri 10-Jun-05 09:26:53

it can look quite good as long as you take your time and don't rush it.

My friend did it successfully and also we did it for ds1 when he moved into his flat - he had our old units and we painted them - looks good!

DaddyCool Fri 10-Jun-05 09:27:34

my mum has done this a few times and it looks good (we own a paint shop).

You want to use a hard wearing (purpose made if possible) paint and apply it with a small fine white sponge roller.

morningpaper Fri 10-Jun-05 09:29:00

You might need a melamine primer first.

I have done kitchens and just painted SOME parts, not the doors - the parts underneath the units and the trim near the floor. Changing the handles can make it looks much better too.

crunchie Fri 10-Jun-05 09:30:30

I did this when I moved into my house. I primed them with ESP or something like that - Easy surface primer - then did them in cream. Two coats of satin wood. Take your time and it can look OK. It worked for about 4 years until we could afford to do it properly. Otherwise look at just changing the door fronts. If your doors are standard sizes you could buy doors from IKEA or B&Q or Wickes in teh style you would like, this would save a lot. You can get cheap skaker style cream doors this way. 3rd option is that there are companies who do the doors painted or primed for your paint to order. These are best if you have odd sizes.

DaddyCool Fri 10-Jun-05 09:32:02

yes, melamine primer deff.

there's a company called 'Benjamin Moore Paints' who are primarily located in north america but i've seen they're paints on changing rooms so obviously some of their products are available here.

they make a product actually called 'melamine', a really hard wearing dull finish that looks fantastic on kitchen units and tiles. it's tough as nails if applied properly.

DaddyCool Fri 10-Jun-05 09:32:45

their paints even!

crunchie Fri 10-Jun-05 09:32:50

someone like here might do the job. BTW I am not recommending this company I did a search online for ideas. Also ask a local carpenter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now