Talk

Advanced search

What did the umbilical cord look like?

(15 Posts)
emkana Thu 09-Jun-05 22:53:20

When I had my dd's I was really surprised that the umbilical cord looked all curly, a bit like a telephone cable when it is pulled.
I thought it would be straight. When I watched ER the other night a baby there was born and the cord was straight.
Do some people have straight umbilical cords? Am I weird or is ER unrealistic?

jessicasmummy Thu 09-Jun-05 22:54:09

mine was curly.... i would say ER is a bit false when it comes to things like that....

swivellyscooter Thu 09-Jun-05 22:57:32

I can only really remember clearly my last baby's cord as it was quite unusual and the midwife commented on it. It was so thick that it looked almost straight but with slightly undulating look about it. The midwife's comment was "you obviously didn't smoke then?"

emkana Thu 09-Jun-05 23:13:25

bump

emkana Fri 10-Jun-05 20:11:37

bump again

Come on, a few more answers please?

dinny Fri 10-Jun-05 20:13:13

mine looked like a bit stick of rock with dd. can't remember with ds.

Flossam Fri 10-Jun-05 20:14:40

Minging!!!

But straight if I remember correctly.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 20:24:03

umbilical cord pictures

The cord has a big vein running through it with 2 arteries wrapped round it. It is covered in Wharton's jelly which can be quite thick. Depending on the size of the vein and arteries and the thickness of the jelly, the cord can look straight or it can look curly. Some even have knots in them.

dinny Fri 10-Jun-05 20:27:46

can I gatecrash and ask Mears something? when ds born I heard the mw say the placenta was a "dirty...." what would she have said? was a sort of comical name...

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 20:35:58

'dirty Duncan'

What that means is that the placenta delivered itself inside out if you like. The side that was attached to the womb was on the outside - like a turned inside out umbrella. When it peels off the womb it often comes shiny side first (side next to baby) with the side that was attached to the womb on the inside.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 20:36:55

picture of placenta shiny side up.

dinny Fri 10-Jun-05 20:48:08

thanks, Mears! keep thinking she said Dirty Sanchez but dh tells me that is v rude!
why Duncan?

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 20:50:16

Maned after a Dr Duncan - can't remember the full name. Will come back to me no doubt.

mears Fri 10-Jun-05 20:54:59

Matthew duncan (1865 ish) describes the delivery of the placenta in this way.

dinny Fri 10-Jun-05 20:57:10

thanks so much - that has been bugging me for ages!
sorry to hijack!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now