Talk

Advanced search

AAAARRRGGHHH just a rant about unsolicited calls from call centres overseas

(15 Posts)
melsy Thu 09-Jun-05 19:20:42

I know that its a great how many jobs ve been created, but DO they have to call me over and over, every day I have several calls about loans/mortgages/mobiles and more. Its driving me really nuts and I have to RANT. Weve registered with this website that stops it ALL , but it takes 28 days to go through. The telephone manner is so invasive and aggressive. I dread seeing INTERNATIONAL come up on my caller ID , but have to answer as it may be a friend from overseas. I cant just slam the phone down as they always seem to callback , but they dont take, "IM NOT INTERESTED" as an answer. They know your telephone number , they know your name , your address , its horrible. Is it me or is it getting worse and happening more and more?????

assumedname Thu 09-Jun-05 19:24:09

Try talking absolute rubbish to them as if you're speaking a foreign language.

Or just put the phone down when they call - it's then their money they're wasting.

assumedname Thu 09-Jun-05 19:24:35

Rather than your time, I meant.

GeorginaA Thu 09-Jun-05 20:02:21

Or you could try answering with "please hold" - press some random keys on your phone so it bleeps loudly in their ear, THEN wander away from the phone for an hour or two (of course, silently checking periodically to see if they've hung up yet).

You could keep a running score going for how long you could keep them hanging on! Perhaps we could make it a mumsnet competition?

Pruni Thu 09-Jun-05 20:10:44

Message withdrawn

bubblerock Thu 09-Jun-05 20:21:23

Definately register with the telephone preference service that should stop the majority, if they continue to ring they face fines of up to £5000 per telephone call if you report them.

Alternatively have a whistle handy or ask them to wait while you pass them onto the relevant person and pass them to a talkative DS/DD and tell them it's santa claus wanting their order early

csa Thu 09-Jun-05 20:28:09

what's the website for stopping these calls? we keep getting automated ones? really really irritating...

have to say that when we actually get a human at the other end of the phone, we put them on hold and they get a lovely tune. they don't seem to like hanging on for long tho

melsy Thu 09-Jun-05 20:30:22

LOL at some of the suggestions!! Pruni I get those USA youve won a trip to bahamas , disney etc , please press this button and we will charge you £10 pr minute for doing so calls. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

Thing is , will they really listen if i say Im registered with call stop service?? Who do I report them to ?

Dior Thu 09-Jun-05 20:33:15

Message withdrawn

Orinoco Thu 09-Jun-05 20:35:20

Message withdrawn

Orinoco Thu 09-Jun-05 20:35:52

Message withdrawn

aloha Thu 09-Jun-05 20:37:57

If there is a slight pause when you pick up the phone, put it straight down, it's a call centre.
They are incredibly bloody annoying. I don't think it's great they've created jobs either. I think the world would be a far better place without any of them. Grrrr. And the TPS has made no difference to us.

melsy Thu 09-Jun-05 20:41:34

ahh bums , TPS is who weve registered with. So how on earth do we STOP them !??????

Its a such HUGE HUGE grind

coppertop Thu 09-Jun-05 20:50:22

LOL at some of these suggestions. I'm almost looking forward to try ing them out.

sheepgomeep Thu 09-Jun-05 20:57:11

melsy

I get this too. And it dosen't matter how many times I tell them not too ring (it's always the same two companies, tele2 and talk talk) they still do it and it's sometimes up to 5 times a day. I can't understand what they are saying, I tell them no I am not interested etc and then thier manner changes, 'they ask 'well why aren't you interested, you are the owner of this house blah blah I told them once no the owner of the house does not live here ( which is bollox cos it's me). There was a pause and then said 'May I speak to the owner please' HELLO are you stupid!!! GRRRRR

Now however as soon as I see international on my caller display I pick it up and immediately cut them off without listening to them. It is disgusting I think and distressing in a way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now