Talk

Advanced search

Goodness me this is a petty thread but, my neighbours vans are multiplying and I need your advice.

(17 Posts)
MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 17:48:58

Just that really.

We live on a quiet residential road (if you don't count the 7000000000 learner drivers doing 3point turns all over the place.)

A neighbour in the next road parked one of his large vans outside our house. Then 2, now it is 4. It is just getting to the point where getting out of our drive is tricky. Also, he doesn't have to look at them as he lives around the corner. They are blocking out some of our light. I don't mind too mcuh ATM but any more vans and it will start to get tricky to park.

All v petty stuff, but I was wondering if there is any law against using a residential address for commercial vehicles?

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 18:04:16

Bump.

southeastastra Mon 05-Oct-09 18:32:46

have you tried talking to them?

lavenderkate Mon 05-Oct-09 18:37:31

Shall watch this thread with interest as we are in similar position.

Some of the other neighbours have tried talking to him the other night. Ended up with very aggressive screaming van owner in his vest in street hurling bricks at window of complainee!
wouldnt mind, but he has plenty of room to park them on his own drive.

Hope some come up with ideas for you movingoutofblighty.

Arsed Mon 05-Oct-09 18:39:16

Let all the tyres down !

TeamEdwardTango Mon 05-Oct-09 18:42:29

Some newer estates have clauses in the deeds requiring that no commercial vehicles are parked in the estate. Not that many people may any notice...

We know what it is like to have a van parked outside. Our house is on a hill and the living room is below street level. Once again, quiet residential street (except for the learners reversing around every corner! grin). The teenage lad a few doors down is an electrician and brings the van home at weekends, but obviously doesn't like looking at it from his home, so he parks it outside ours! It blocks out a lot of light in our living room and 'tis very annoying!

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 18:45:33

Southeastrastra - I don't think I am quite at that point of irritation with them, give it one more van and I think this is what will happen!

Arsed - I would, but 4 vans would be too muchwork for one evening!

bran Mon 05-Oct-09 18:47:42

Is there room for him to park some of them by his house? I would be tempted to say something along the lines that you know he can't see them from his house so you thought you ought to tell him that a suspicious looking character was snooping around them and he ran off when he saw you looking. The neighbour might move them to where he can see them.

abra1d Mon 05-Oct-09 18:51:07

Start parking your own car outside your house in such a way that he can't easily fit his lorries there?

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 19:01:25

Both good ideas bran and abra.
I like the idea of being a 'helpful' neighbour.

It just does seem a little annoying that they are not parked in front of his house and all infront of ours. As said, can still park fairly easily but it also makes the place a bit 'closed in' in a way that 4 cars wouldn't.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 05-Oct-09 19:12:00

Tricky. We don't own the kerb outside our homes and (afaik) there's no law against parking a commercial vehicle on the street, but it used to drive me nuts when the guy who lived opposite used to park outside our house every single day because he liked to be able to check on it from his upstairs window.

Have you spoken to the council about what (if anything) they can do? The threatening behaviour sounds like a case for the police.

Blu Mon 05-Oct-09 19:17:23

There is a size of vehicle above which they cannot be parked on residential streets, check that with your council.

Otherwise try having a freindly word with him and say it's getting a bit like living behind the Great Wall of China and politely request that hje spread them around a bit? That's what I did when an old neighbour extended his dog-walking business and had about 3 vans, and he obliged rather than get into a neighbourly feud or anything official.

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 19:19:04

MadBad - that is what I thought, that there is prob no legal basis. But just wondered if there is anything about using residential roads for commercial use, or something! wink at lack of knowledge.

As said, wouldn't mind one or 2, but 4 is getting a little crazy, especially along this road!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 05-Oct-09 19:28:18

MOOB - I was thinking more of small vans (my neighbour's was a transit type). Blu's information about larger lorries sounds more promising.

I think (again, not a lawyer) that there may be issues around running a business from home - you need to have planning consent and register for business rates etc - but they're separate from the parking issues.

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 05-Oct-09 19:30:40

Ah hah! That may the information I need MBADTK. I wondered abouthte whole business from home part.
I don't want to start a war with him though - it is a minor irritation atm but getting slowly worse.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 06-Oct-09 09:40:19

MOOB - I don't know how accurate this is, but here's some guidance on running a business from home. I think you're wise not to want to start a war!

Blu Wed 07-Oct-09 14:00:50

Hmmm, I can't find any specific rules about size of commercial vans parked in residential areas, but i did find this on a police advice message board:

"The issue I believe is the unladen mass (kerb weight) of the vehicle and whether or not it must show lights when parked. Highway Code rule 250 explains that only vehicles with an ULM of no more than 1525kg may park without showing lights on a 30mph limit road. So most vans, which exceed this ULM, would have to show lights and therefore have a flat battery in the morning."

ULM means unladen mass, I think - weight without load, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now