Advanced search

Best legal download site?

(33 Posts)
Tissy Wed 08-Jun-05 20:27:11

I'm a downloading novice but have recently started to download a few tunes via Limewire. Got a bit scared by a feature on the news this evening about a woman who has been hit with a bill for £2500 after her son used her computer to download mp3 files.

My question is, which is the best LEGAL download site? I don't want any "young people's" music- I'm primarily interested in oldies and making compilations of children's music for dd to listen to in the car- any recommendations?

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:38:43

winmx is great its free and has everything but cant do links sorry!

ScrewballMuppet Wed 08-Jun-05 20:50:37

does that mean you can download as much as you want and you won't get charged a penny?

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:51:12

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:51:35

it does vids/pics/music its called

ScrewballMuppet Wed 08-Jun-05 20:53:48

WOW free music am speechless

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:54:50

yeah i thought that ive had it for ages and it hasnt been closed down yet. i think its legal becasue you downlad them off other people connected to the net not of companys or anything its really good you can literally get anything!

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 20:55:20

try this for downloading WinMX

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:55:24 i think if not google it

charleepeters Wed 08-Jun-05 20:56:49

gallordfocker great name! i just brought meet the fockers/meet the parents on double dvd!

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 20:56:49

put it this way if it is illegal, dh and I will go to prison and we've downloaded stacks of singles/albums...if it's available it shouldn't be illegal imho.

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 20:58:21

Pretty sure WinMX isn't legal.

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 20:59:02

isn't it????????

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 21:02:03

It's peer-to-peer file sharing. Only the original purchaser of the file has paid for it, everyone else is copying it for free. How can that be legal? Goes against all the copyright rules.

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 08-Jun-05 21:02:11

Soulseek is free and legal.

You basically download from other peoples shared files.
It's set up similar to mumsnet in that you pick a name and you can send msgs to other users.

ScrewballMuppet Wed 08-Jun-05 21:03:49

What will happen if you download music from an illegal website?

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 21:05:07

surely anything that is downloaded when you haven't bouhg tthe album is illegal then, we all video tv programs, films etc...I think it is only illegal if you use it for broadcasting purposes or sell it, or use it in a public place...why is it on the internet and we've been downloading for 2 you think they'll send us a bill...seems a bit strange

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 21:06:42

Do it in limited quantity and you will get away with it - get silly and you might be on a future list for prosecution.

NBG - sorry, but Soulseek is just the same of the other peer-to-peer sites.

Disclaimer from the site, note especially the last sentence:

"Share Responsibly:
In our members area you will find all the tools you need to download and burn MP3s including open source as well as proprietary file-sharing software. Plus, you'll get unlimited access to tools for burning unlimited CD's, making your own play lists, finding lyrics and getting the most out of your mp3 experience. Purchase of a membership, however, is not a license to upload or download copyright material. We do not condone copyright infringement and we urge you to respect the copyright laws of your Country.

Using file-sharing (P2P) software for the uploading or downloading of copyrighted works without the permission or authorization of the copyright holders may be illegal and could subject you (or the ISP subscriber) to civil and/or criminal liability and penalties. For more information about U.S. copyright law, please visit and

Some content found on file-sharing (P2P) networks may be reproduced, uploaded and downloaded. There are a significant number of copyright holders who have authorized the sharing of their content for non-commercial purposes, such as some content with Creative Commons format licenses, and there is also content available in the public domain and not protected by copyright. Most commercially released popular songs, films, and software is NOT authorized for free redistribution but requires separate purchase or licensing

JoolsToo Wed 08-Jun-05 21:07:23

whatever you do don't download Kazaa - aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 21:08:32

Ooooo JT, you didn't did you? Nasty stuff on kazaa.

Tissy Wed 08-Jun-05 21:13:23

The legal sites I've seen seem to charge eg 79p per download, which I am quite prepared to pay, but couldn't find a site that had music I wanted.

As far as I can make out, any copying of music, however it is done is illegal, as the artist doesn't get paid. I remember being told that copying an LP onto a cassette for my own personal use was still illegal, but I'd be unlikely to be prosecuted; distributing copies to my mates would result in a charge (if caught).

Can't remember exactly who has been doing the tracking down, but they can find you and track you from the internet, and sting you for copyright charges.

I'm quite happy to pay for the music if I can find it, and would rather pay per track than buy a whole album for one song I like.

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 21:14:45

in a year we might have downloaded about 100 somgs is that bad??

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 08-Jun-05 21:16:40

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 21:17:38

is it

GaylordFocker Wed 08-Jun-05 21:18:14

what was the oops for btw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now