Talk

Advanced search

The Bree van der Kamp effect: why are tidy women considered deranged?

(35 Posts)
Caligula Wed 08-Jun-05 11:21:31

This is the title of the discussion Woman's Hour are going to have tomorrow and it made me LOL. So I thought I'd tell you lot about it in case anyone wants to find out a) why they're deranged or b) why they're justified in being a slob.

Radio 4, 10AM Thursday.

Enid Wed 08-Jun-05 11:22:49

am fairly deranged with occasional slob tendencies

Caligula Wed 08-Jun-05 11:23:30

Am a totally deranged slob. Trying to be Bree. Got the derangement bit, just not the tidyness.

tarantula Wed 08-Jun-05 11:26:45

Can this apply to men too????? Dp is def OTT tidy and deranged enough to have stayed with me for 11 yrs . Im have definite slob tendencies but of course am not dernged at all honest!! [innocent face emoticon]

WideWebWitch Wed 08-Jun-05 11:27:48

Well I'm sane then

norash Wed 08-Jun-05 11:29:56

Because they are. You have to be to be that tidy (Runs away at 180mph)

Enid Wed 08-Jun-05 11:33:08

dh has DEFINITE bree tendencies

tarantula Wed 08-Jun-05 11:34:02

Phew Glad its not jsut me taht has a partner like that

Enid Wed 08-Jun-05 11:35:05

he is almost obsessive

sheepgomeep Wed 08-Jun-05 11:39:59

ooh i'll be listening to that I think.
I am very untidy and am quite deranged too.

tarantula Wed 08-Jun-05 11:50:26

Dp is a bit obsessive too Enid. He hates leaving the house before its tidy!!! And he was moaning about dss the other day cos he took a cd out of the cd player and didnt put it into its case Horror of Horror.

Really should not complain tho as I come home to a tidy house every evening with dinner either cooked or preped ready for cooking and he insists on washing up after so dd and I can have some time together.

lemonice Wed 08-Jun-05 11:54:46

Funny I just passed through the sitting room and Houses Behaving Badly cane on and said to dp aggh well that's enought to send me back to work because the woman on there drives me nuts, i think she is mad..soo enthusiastic about dust and damp cloths, she is possessed..I can't imagine her ever talking about anything else..she has a definite glint of other world alien about her

morningpaper Wed 08-Jun-05 11:55:07

My problem is I HAVE to be Bree-tidy or else I FEEL stressed and deranged.

The tidiness keeps the derangement at bay.

peckarollover Wed 08-Jun-05 11:57:17

I am desperate to be BREE like but Im just not and its not fair

Im desperate to be tidy but am just not naturally tidy and that makes me deranged

sorrel Wed 08-Jun-05 12:08:06

ithink i am basically Bree type- but try hard to fight it, for the sanity of dh and family.I am one of those women who does an entire spring clean before going on holiday. It would be devestating for me to come home to a messy house.
Have had to learn to live with mess, but not dirt.
Don't often put Dh's handcuffs in the dishwasher these days either

Tortington Thu 09-Jun-05 00:38:33

theres always something better to do than tidy up

handlemecarefully Thu 09-Jun-05 00:43:57

I want Enid's husband - he sounds perfect for me.

Enid, you can have mine. He's crap at clearing up and tidying.

handlemecarefully Thu 09-Jun-05 00:45:24

Mind you - since you are 'fairly deranged' you're probably not keen to part with your dh...

LottieG Thu 09-Jun-05 07:25:53

This is probably a stupid question but...

Who is Bree van der Kamp?????

Puff Thu 09-Jun-05 07:57:59

My sister has always been very very tidy. When we were still living at home and had to share a room (grrrr), I found it hellish because I'm the opposite to her.

Aged 6, she would save all carrier bags and sweet packets, fold them neatly and store them in shoe boxes, precisely lined up under her bed.

Her house was/is always pretty immaculate, even when her twins were tiny.

My dh pokes fun at me because wherever I sit/sleep, I gradually surround myself with a "nest" of books, newspapers, magazines and notebooks. I'm not good at tidy, but I have learn to try to keep the mess that 2 toddlers make under some sort of control for all our sakes!

Satine Thu 09-Jun-05 08:04:26

I did a stupid "Which one are you" quiz on the dh website and it said I was Lynette - but secretly I know I skewed my answers away from the horrible truth that I am Bree....

Caligula Thu 09-Jun-05 10:36:34

It's on now - just bumping it. Mad women on R4

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 10:38:12

career housewives?

WideWebWitch Thu 09-Jun-05 10:38:27

I'm listening

JoolsToo Thu 09-Jun-05 10:46:04

polite laughter at the deathbed comment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now