Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone explain to me what this means please - Computers!

(28 Posts)
Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 09:48:46

Message withdrawn

sparklymieow Wed 08-Jun-05 09:49:53

sounds like you need to reinstall your windows, do you have install discs....???

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 09:52:26

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 09:52:47

It's "tcp/ip". And yeah, I think you'd want to reinstall windows.

This sounds like it could be:
- a virus/worm
- a disk error

So just installing might not fix it. I'd back up your files before you do anything, then wipe the disk and reinstall.

Make sure your virus checker is up to date, as you might re-infect yourself from your data disks.

If it's a disk error, your hard drive might be failing, and you'll want to run some sort of disk check utility. You might need to buy a new drive, in the long run.

How did the problem start?

tarantula Wed 08-Jun-05 09:56:35

Id say reinstall window too but can you back up all your data onto cd first. Its probably not necesary but best to be on the safe side.

Your TCP/IP settings are used to connect to the Internet. Has anyone been messing about with any of your settings or anything? Does it give you any further information on what the Windows protection error is? Did you have uptodate virus software on your machine as poss could be a virus.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 09:59:22

It's good when two of us come up with the same ideas ...

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 09:59:51

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 10:01:13

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:04:00

Was it an upgrade from Microsoft? I think some of their service packs sometimes mangle things. This is getting a bit specific for me, but it sounds like the upgrade is almost certainly the problem.

You might be able to download an executable from Microsoft using your work computer and bring it home.

I don't know enough about safe mode, or Microsoft service packs, but will ask DH.

What version of Windows are you on? (XP, 2000?)

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:04:24

This is certainly better than a disk problem. And probably better than a virus, too.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:05:36

Backing up with the disk drive would be painful. You don't have any USB backup devices, like a pen drive?

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 10:08:06

Did the microsoft message come in a pop-up? If so then it was probably a virus, not a genuine microsoft upgrade. Sure I have seen a warning about this, will do a quick search and see if I can find some info.

tarantula Wed 08-Jun-05 10:08:53

Hope this doesnt sound bad but when you say you cant use your cd do you mean you cant see it at all when you go to My Computer? If you click on My Computer it will give you a list of drives lie c: which is your hard drive and A: for floppy etc. Sorry if Im being a bit basic here. Cos if you cant use your cd its gonna be a bit of a bugger to fix

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 10:09:21

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 10:10:35

Found this - don't know if it is relevant to your problem but there is a link to a removal tool on there if it does turn out to be the problem.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:10:54

Oh, SaintGeorge, good point. Look here .

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 10:12:59

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 10:14:47

Ooh - much more useful link than mine NDP

I never download patches/updates when stuff pops up on my screen. Every couple of months I go to the microsoft home page and download anything I think I need from there. Safer - plus you only download what you really need, a lot of the stuff in patches isn't relevant to 80% of users.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:17:22

Aimsmum, what do you mean by "it came up when you opened the internet"? Do you mean the little icon in the bottom right had a little box on it? Or do you mean you got an email?

I'd assume your antivirus would notice this virus - how often do you update your virus definitions? (These days, it should be weekly at least.)

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 10:17:36

Aimsmum - I am very wary of anything that appears when I access the internet unless I have put the address in myself! Unfortunately the hackers/virus writers are getting so clever - combined with me getting very paranoid about computer security

NotQuiteCockney Wed 08-Jun-05 10:22:26

It is best to always enter the address yourself, rather than clicking on a link. There are some clever tricks out there.

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 10:27:24

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 11:07:41

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 08-Jun-05 11:58:45

Message withdrawn

SaintGeorge Wed 08-Jun-05 12:08:47

Sorry Aimsmum, had to pop out for awhile.

Unfortunately I don't really know enough to help you. I still think it might be a virus but only because I have never heard of it going direct to the Microsoft homepage like that before - I get the icon flashing on my toolbar when it is a genuine update.

Hope someone more useful comes along to help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now