Talk

Advanced search

Driving Test: Help, I still can't reverse round a curved corner?

(17 Posts)
puffling Tue 29-Sep-09 22:45:13

I'm ready in all aspects of my driving for test except this. I can do a right angle corner as I just do full lock when the curb disappears. There's no formula for the curved one and my mind goes blank trying to work out whether to turn left or right and how much lock to put on. Any tips gratefully appreciated.

whoingodsnameami Tue 29-Sep-09 22:50:57

Rememner when reversing, if you want to turn left, you turn the steering left, peole get confused because they think they should turn the opposite when going backward.

Reverse as slow as you like, remembering to stop the car every 4 metres or slow to check all mirrors and to check for oncoming traffic.

whoingodsnameami Tue 29-Sep-09 22:52:39

First word ther is meant to be, remember.smile

whoingodsnameami Tue 29-Sep-09 22:53:46

and, every 4 metres or so, not slow.blush In my defence I am tired and illgrin

GypsyMoth Tue 29-Sep-09 22:55:06

what kind of corner can you reverse around then,if not a curved one??

made me gigglre that did op!1

you'll get the hang of it,don't despair!!

littleducks Tue 29-Sep-09 22:55:25

Hope yopu get other manouver in your test

start tuning as first curved paving stone is in rear passenger window central and check/ adjust/go slow

alypaly Tue 29-Sep-09 22:59:03

put your car 6 inches away from the kerb, put a sticker in your side window and back window where the kerb line hits the window frame...visually i mean.

use these dots to line up your kerb when reversing and it will always ensure the perfect distance from the kerb...

test passed....

paddingtonbear1 Tue 29-Sep-09 23:00:18

I'm sure my driving instructor put some marker in the car to help when reversing round a corner!
The thing I couldn't do was parallel park (still can't). Fortunately I didn't get asked to do it in the test!

VirginiaLoveGlove Tue 29-Sep-09 23:01:44

try this: reverse while turning the wheel so the edge of the curb appears in the bottom corner of the back passenger widow, bisecting it.

do not turn the wheel any more and keep going back.

as you get round the curve, the edge of the curb will disappear.

when it does, straighten up.

will try it out tomorrow to see if i need to add or take out something

5inthebed Tue 29-Sep-09 23:02:27

I'm sitting my test really soon as well, and I've failed twice before. I have a new instrutor, and he has shown me really wasy ways to do ALL my manouvres, especially parallel parking which I dreaded.

Do you angle your passenger side mirror when reversing around the corner?

Granny23 Tue 29-Sep-09 23:02:57

Best advice I ever got from my instructor was 'stop trying to do Geometry and just drive'.

puffling Tue 29-Sep-09 23:15:04

Thanksd everyone. have read and digested your advice. 5inthebed. I do angle the mirror. In fact that's an issue as I always forget to re-adjust it when I finish the manoeuvre.
Haven't used back window as a guide as the car only has very small back window.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 29-Sep-09 23:19:26

use your wing mirrors, keep looking out of the rear mirror and practice practice practice. oh and go really really slowly. theres no rush!

5inthebed Wed 30-Sep-09 11:07:36

Put your window down before the manouvre, and it'll remind you to adjust the wing mirror before you drive off.

Good luck with your test.

puffling Wed 30-Sep-09 15:12:45

Thanks. Good tip 5inthebed

5inthebed Wed 30-Sep-09 21:05:51

And by having the window down, you can also hear any oncoming traffic better

Ivykaty44 Wed 30-Sep-09 21:09:43

I was taught to use the back window as a guild - find something on the back window to line up with - my instructor didn't put anything there just gace the letter in the garage name sticker across the back window at the bottom wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now