Talk

Advanced search

Shall I have my driving instructor in the back of the car during my test?

(15 Posts)
puffling Tue 29-Sep-09 22:42:40

He's suggested i might like that as it's helped other pupils of his control their nerves. It hadn't occurred to me. I think it might make me nervous? have you done this?What do you think?

notnowbernard Tue 29-Sep-09 22:43:32

It would have tipped me over the edge

I was fighting the urge to vomit as it was!

littleducks Tue 29-Sep-09 22:44:46

hmm, mine always said that the examiners are stricter if the instructors are there, they wont let anything slide

claudialyman Tue 29-Sep-09 22:45:56

I was told (by the instructor) it cuts down on tests being failed becuase theyve reached their passing quotas for the month but also can annoy the examiner and get his back up. Dont know if that helps! Go with what makes you most comfortable. good luck!

Beauregard Tue 29-Sep-09 22:46:13

I wanted to but in the end said no as i would have felt more pressure i think.

puffling Tue 29-Sep-09 22:49:00

claudialyman - my test is on the 7th so I guess that means they won't be so relaxed about failing people at that point in the month. Do they really have quotas?

I wouldn't have done; it would definitely have made me more nervous.

ajamore Tue 29-Sep-09 23:12:11

If it gets you in the right frame of mind, go for it wink

claudialyman Tue 29-Sep-09 23:36:13

my instructor insisted each test centre did have a monthly quota, to stop them from looking too generous or overstrict on inspection, they basically tried to hit the national average. My logic said early in the month was better than later (later they may need to fail more to not go over the passing quota which was the main concern IFYSWIM) This was almost 10 years ago and i would hope the unoffical quota system was either a rumour or has disappeared. I wouldnt worry too much about it, nothing you can do about it anyway. As everyone is saying, do whatever makes you most comfortable on the day

MrsMerryHenry Wed 30-Sep-09 12:58:12

PMSL at thread title!

Good luck with your test!

AMumInScotland Wed 30-Sep-09 13:09:17

If you think it may make you nervous, then you're probably right, so I think you should decline. I would have hated having mine there.

Iklboo Wed 30-Sep-09 13:12:02

Dh is a driving instructor and won't do this. Apart from making the pupil nervous he says his weight in the back of the car alters the handling slightly - something the pupil isn't used to. Plus it can nark off the examiner. Any cough, fart, sneeze or blink the instructor does might be misinterpreted by the examiner as a hint to the pupil smile

pinknosedevereux Wed 30-Sep-09 16:43:00

Mrs merryhenry I like the way your mind workssmile.
I think best not to-will probably make you more nervous especially when you're looking over your shoulder doing a manouvre!
My other tip is not to tell anyone you're having your test(a bit late now I know)I failed the first couple of times my nerves were out of control. For the last time I sneaked off whilst dc were at nursery and just told people when I had passed.
Good luck

puffling Wed 30-Sep-09 23:45:36

Ha Ha MrsMerryHenry. That might be a cure for my nerves.
Iklboo and pnd - good points. I think I'll go it alone.

A cure for your nerves, but how would you feel about having your minor faults in technique pointed out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now