Talk

Advanced search

Payroll - very boring I know but can anyone answer a payroll software question please?

(20 Posts)
ks Tue 07-Jun-05 08:12:50

Message withdrawn

mrsflowerpot Tue 07-Jun-05 08:23:17

I do, and all I use is the INland Revenue's CD Rom which they send out to you when you register as an employer. It works out all the PAYE and NI etc for you each month, and then I record it manually - we only pay dh and I and I can't see why I'd need anything else tbh.

munz Tue 07-Jun-05 08:41:57

I do and we use sage which I can recommend, but for one employee i'd recommend getting your self the books and deductions card and doing it manually as long as u understand the table's it's easy enough.

also IR do courses on PAYE etc for the new employer normally a morning/avo course for free and they give u coffee. rather boring but it's a great help.

mrsflowerpot Tue 07-Jun-05 08:44:48

Actually, yes munz, I'd forgotten to mention it but the IR were surprisingly helpful when I started doing it - I booked a one-to-one session with them and they talked me through it all. Having only ever dealt with them when they'd made mistakes previously I was gobsmacked to find them being helpful!

mytwopenceworth Tue 07-Jun-05 08:50:49

quickbooks is good as it is all in one! payroll, invoice system for customers, enter bills and schedule payments, creates management accounts, prints out 945s, p60s, p35s and every bit of info the IR needs!

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 14:14:49

Message withdrawn

mrsflowerpot Tue 07-Jun-05 14:51:48

Yes, when I registered as a new employer we got a load of stuff through from the local office about training days etc and it just said you could request one-to-one if you needed it and/or none of the training days were suitable. V helpful and then you also have a name of someone who is at the end of the phone if you need them.

munz Tue 07-Jun-05 15:01:45

there is a payroll system about £50 like excel spread sheets but keeps everything in order, I forget the name of it now thou - urghhhh will ahve a think about it. not quick book not paye master not sage, urrghhhh what's it called, it's v simple to use thou.

Sari Tue 07-Jun-05 15:06:24

I've just been getting to grips with this and have managed to work it all out with the stuff the Inland Revenue sent. The CD ROM does all the figures for you.

They do send mountains of info which can be a bit baffling but just stick with the CD ROM and do the tutorials and you should be fine.

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 16:21:05

Message withdrawn

munz Tue 07-Jun-05 16:32:22

it can be adjusted the month after, of course depends on the error you make.

Sponge Tue 07-Jun-05 16:42:45

I just use the IR CDrom as well. It's really straightforward and free. I then record the numbers on the sheets they send and submit the end of year returns (which are just the 12 months added up) online. They do send you a daunting amount of stuff but you really only need the CD and I use the record sheets for ease (because the online stuff and CD both refer to the boxes on the forms so it keeps it simple).
Since I pay my nanny the same every month I've just set up a standing order to pay her net and another to pay the IR the tax and NI.

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 16:42:55

Message withdrawn

Sponge Tue 07-Jun-05 16:46:11

I wouldn't worry. If you pay the wrong amount one month just reconcile it the next one, or as soon as you spot it. As long as your year end is OK it doesn't really matter what you do in the middle.

Easy Tue 07-Jun-05 16:57:57

No, I pay 4 people a month (incl. me) and just use the IR CD and a spreadsheet to record it all.

My only thing is forgetting to pay the PAYE and NI over, but I've just started doing that on-line, so I do it the same time as the payroll.

Don't waste money on software just for one.

Where are you? I do help small businesses for a living, wouldn't mind going thru it with you if you're reasonably local.

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 17:06:58

Message withdrawn

Easy Tue 07-Jun-05 17:14:04

Yes KS, I was using the payslip booklet and sending a cheque, but really bad at remembering. But I registered to send in our year-end returns online this year (saves me £250 in NI payments), and now I'm registered I'll submit the payments online.

Yes it does all go from the tables, although if you want to you can work it out on a calculation basis. I used to do it that way.

Now tho' you should receive a CDROM which has a PAYE and an NI calculator included, so just use that every month.

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 17:19:27

Message withdrawn

Easy Tue 07-Jun-05 17:21:17

No, but I just do one on Excel for my staff.

CAT me your email address and I'll send you a sample.

ks Tue 07-Jun-05 17:25:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now