Talk

Advanced search

panto and nutcracker for children in the southeast area? any ideas?

(6 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Thu 24-Sep-09 20:57:35

I'd like to take DS to a panto and/or a shorter version of the Nutcracker this year, he is 3 and I adore the Nutcracker but dont know if he could sit through a beautiful performance in its entirety yet! We live in Essex but I would travel any reasonable distance that I could afford for the right special thing for him, he is a very bright grown up 3 and loved the Tiger Who Came to Tea and I know would love a really great theatre experience. Maybe panto more as its more lively the Nutcracker may be more for me blush anyway... any ideas? grin

piprabbit Fri 25-Sep-09 00:39:02

I'd be tempted to leave the Nutcracker until he's a bit older. It is on in London this Xmas - but the additional travel time might be a bit much?
Whereabouts in Essex are you? There are pantos in Southend, Basildon, Hornchurch - and probably other venues too...

hereidrawtheline Fri 25-Sep-09 08:15:25

I'm near Colchester. I've seen the Nutcracker at the um let me get this right, Royal Albert in London years ago before I had DS. And at the time I romantically vowed I would return every year no matter what. Needless to say I havent been back since though I would have loved to!

piprabbit Fri 25-Sep-09 09:56:22

I've been planning to take my DD (nearly 6) to the Nutcracker for years as she adores the music - I was thinking about going this year - but GPs have offered to treat her to seeing Peter Pan instead. Maybe next year.

Oooh - just googled. You have Cinderella on at the Mercury Theatre. DD was fascinated by the dames in Cinderella at about 3 - although she was absolutely clear that they were men from the go get.

hereidrawtheline Fri 25-Sep-09 12:53:29

is it scary at all? I've never even been to a panto myself! shock I know I know horror of horrors! DS is sometimes easily frightened but he is used to Mr. Tumble dressing up as god knows what so he should be fine.

piprabbit Fri 25-Sep-09 15:15:27

Not really scary - but there might be some loud bangs and crashes. As long as he's sitting next to you and can hide his face if overcome he should be fine.

Cinderella is probably the least worrying panto - if only because the story is usually pretty familiar.

Prepare yourselves to join in... I don't mean go up on stage, but to say 'He's behind you' and sing along etc. with the rest of the audience.

Personally I think pantos are good for children as there is no pressure to sit quietly - the whole point is that it's an event aimed at children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now