Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Warning; Incoming Rant .....

(23 Posts)
joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:44:43

Went to pay a cheque into my account today. Tried depositing it in the ATM - which promptly shut down and rebooted keeping my card. Went to the advice and info section - was kept waiting (standing in a queue)for almost 30 minutes (still in constant pain with my leg). Got to the front of the queue, the woman buggered off for five minutes then returned just in time for me to begin really seething.

I explained that I had just tried depositing a cheque in the middle ATM which had shut down, etc, etc. Cheeky cow looked me up and down, sneered and said; "What you mean is that you've either been trying to get money out of an account that doesn't contain enough, or can't remember your pin number!!"

I leant forward, looked her up and down, sneered back and replied; "Look Sweetheart, there are two rules in dealing with customers. The first one is that the customer is ALWAYS right...The second rule is that even if the customer is wrong - refer to rule number one." She went very pale and I continued; "Got that, right - then I'll start again...now listen carefully and you might understand what I'm saying. I have just tried to deposit this white envelope which contains a cheque, into my bank account, Your machine has just physically shut down and then rebooted itself, keeping my card. Consequently, I have no card and I am still holding the cheque in my hand. Now I'd like you to go over to the machine and retreive my card and bring it back to me, then I can make another attempt to deposit this cheque!!" The woman behind me in the queue, cheered and clapped .

She scuttled off, returned within two minutes, thrusting a card into my hand. I asked if she needed any ID, to which she replied no, just take the card and try another machine. Looking at the card, I then asked if she could contact Mr Green (the name on the card), whomever he is and ask if he would mind a complete stranger attempting to deposit a cheque in his account. "Oh int that your card then?" DERRRRRR - DO I look like a Mr Green? Of she scuttles again and returned with three more cards and asked me to select the one that was mine!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever happened to bank security?

I got my card and deposited the cheque, but was bloody fuming by the time I'd finished.

starshaker Mon 06-Jun-05 22:47:09

all i can say is u were more pleasant than i would have been

MarsLady Mon 06-Jun-05 22:48:38

Sorry Joash. PMSL. That poor woman was probably scared witless by you. but well done you! Do you think you could come to my bank and get me my new chequebook?

helsi Mon 06-Jun-05 22:48:49

customer service in this country is great isn't it?

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:48:52

Oh believe me - I was struggling to remain calm, it helps having a 2 1/2 year old in tow - cleans up my language no-end

Gwenick Mon 06-Jun-05 22:49:29

That's appalling that she told you to just 'pick your card'!!! I'd complain and she might get disciplined

sallystrawberry Mon 06-Jun-05 22:50:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zebraZ Mon 06-Jun-05 22:50:24

Remind me never to argue with you about anything, Joash.

Sorry, i find it a bit funny. They should have their secuirty better, obviously.

One time I phoned up to arrange to buy $5000 worth of shares (part of the money I'm holding in trust for my brother). The lady took me thru the whole security for my existing account, then proceeded to tell me the current value of my holdings... something in excess of $50,000. Er, no!! That wasn't me. She didn't even apologise when I pointed out her mistake, she had someone else's details on her screen and would have acted on my instructions if I hadn't pointed out the mistake.

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:50:38

Think she might have been one of those card sharks "...pick a card...any card..." . What annoys me is that I used to work for this bank and one of the good things about it used to be it's standards of customer service.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 22:51:09

Jeez, honestly how stupid!

I'd would have cheered and clapped if I was stood behind you too.

hunkermunker Mon 06-Jun-05 22:52:51

FFS! Well done you!

Which bank? Go on, name and shame!

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:53:39

HAFILAX - as DS calls it!!!!

helsi Mon 06-Jun-05 22:54:21

pick a card...any card...now remember that card....show it to the audience.....

hunkermunker Mon 06-Jun-05 22:54:33

Very LAX! Very apt

LGJ Mon 06-Jun-05 22:55:54

Joash

PMSL

Sorry but you sound like my twin

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:58:01

Still in two minds whether to write a snotty or not.

hunkermunker Mon 06-Jun-05 22:58:29

Do it, Joash. Do it!

sallystrawberry Mon 06-Jun-05 22:59:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 22:59:58

Might go back in tomorrow just to get her name.

LGJ Mon 06-Jun-05 23:01:56

Do

DO

DO

I want to and it's not even my rant

handlemecarefully Mon 06-Jun-05 23:12:45

Joash

You're bloody brilliant you are (in the way you handled that daft bint)

joash Mon 06-Jun-05 23:14:50

Wish I'd have had my stick with me - I could have hit her with it

Seriously though - although I was very angry at the time, I did think that I could have probably handled it better. Spent years teaching assertiveness, then come across aggressive and snotty in this situation.

Dior Mon 06-Jun-05 23:22:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now