Advanced search


(23 Posts)
KatieMac Mon 06-Jun-05 21:40:29

Are there any special license requirements for driving them?

dizzymama Mon 06-Jun-05 21:47:30

I knowI had to do a test but did this on my own license and was because I was driving children HTH

helsi Mon 06-Jun-05 21:51:58

I believe my friend who is a teacher needed to be qualified to drive one for school trips.

snafuhunkersnafuhunkersnafumun Mon 06-Jun-05 21:52:51

You have to do a "Midas" test (includes first aid I think)

snafuhunkersnafuhunkersnafumun Mon 06-Jun-05 21:54:30

"MiDAS" in fact - Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme.

KatieMac Mon 06-Jun-05 21:55:42

How long does it last?
How much does it cost?

KatieMac Tue 07-Jun-05 21:31:16

Bump for info on courses...

And how much would a second hand Minibus cost?

Hayls Thu 09-Jun-05 18:00:44

I think if you passed your test before 1996 ish the test is different. I work for our local council with young people so i had to sit their test. If I'd passed my test after 1996 i would have had to go through a much stricter process and i think it is about £1500... Mine wasn't a test as such, more of an assessment. You don't need to sit a test to drive a bus for your own purposes (I think)if it is already on your licence as a permitted category.
Sorry I can't be more precise but it was a few years ago now. Probably bes tto have a look at your licence and contact your local council.
In my last job we got a grant for a minibus and paid around £2000 for an N/P reg one- don't know if it was discounetd because we were a charity.

KatieMac Thu 09-Jun-05 19:57:29

Thanks Hayls - I got my License in about 90 - I'll have to do some research

KatyMac Fri 24-Jun-05 00:14:20

OK so now I need a minibus

Whaih one do I buy?

12 seats.....

KatyMac Fri 24-Jun-05 07:40:55


highlight Fri 24-Jun-05 16:55:41

You can drive a minibus as long as you passed your driving test before 1998 after that you don't have that category d I think on your license so would need to pass your test. If yoyu passed before 1998 you are allowed to drive a vehicle with up to 16 passenger seats plus the driver

Janh Fri 24-Jun-05 17:09:56

I'm part of a group which brings "children from Chernobyl" (actually Belarus, N of Chernobyl) over here for holidays and all our group minibus drivers - 16-seaters - have to have a MiDAS cert even though they will all have passed their tests years ago - mind you the buses belong to the County Council so it's probably their stipulation. I'm supposed to be doing MiDAS before they come next year, apparently the driving part is quite basic but the first aid is 12 hours

DVLA page on minibuses

There is a contact link at the top, maybe you should email and ask?

hana Fri 24-Jun-05 17:10:54

mmm I drive a minibus at my school and passed in 1998 I think
depends for what purposes you are driving ie - for non profit ( in a school) I've been told you don't need a special licence
best to check !
good luck

KatyMac Fri 24-Jun-05 17:23:36

Thanks for the link - I'll phone them

KatyMac Fri 24-Jun-05 17:29:32

I'm OK, cos I passed so long ago I can drive one up to 16 seats and childminding does not count as hire or reward

Pheww!!Now I just have to buy one

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-05 20:02:10

OH NO I NEED AN OPERATING LICENSE........which could cost up to £300...

ThePrisoner Tue 28-Jun-05 21:59:51

Who says that u do?

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-05 22:00:51

Vehicle Standards Agency - apparently over 9 seats and it's in the legislation....

Janh Tue 28-Jun-05 22:21:54

If you had 15 children of your own ([faint]) would you still need an operating licence?

And is it a one-off or annual?

KatyMac Tue 28-Jun-05 22:23:34

If I had 15 children of my own I'd need a wheelchair not a minibus....

It's a one off at that price then a smaller annal fee

Janh Tue 28-Jun-05 23:12:52

Does it get some sort of annual check for that? If not what is it for?

KatyMac Wed 29-Jun-05 07:45:57

no - but apparently (haven't got the paper work yet) I get visited by planning to ensure it doesn't cause a problem for my neighbours, from the police, and I have to have a regular maintenance agreement in place before I can have the operating thingee

I'll know more when I get the info sent to me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: