Talk

Advanced search

Why are teachers so scary? LOL

(19 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 15:52:52

I have received my crime check form back which allows me to help out at dds school in class and trips etc.
I approached dds teacher after school today to let him know that I am available to help and I felt like a nervous little kid.
Why do they make us feel like this?

tarantula Mon 06-Jun-05 16:00:23

Dunno but when I first started teaching at the grand old age of 21 parents used come up to me all respectfull and call me Miss xxxx and it used to totally freak me out and took me ages to get used to it esp as most of the parent were much older than me. If it helps I was dead scared of the parent too.

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 16:08:15

Okay next time I speak to him I shall come across all big, brave and scary.

dizzymama Mon 06-Jun-05 16:32:04

If only my parents thought that way Sparkler! I'm more likely to be called a %^$£$%£ "£*&^% by mine!

happymerryberries Mon 06-Jun-05 16:33:10

We practice

I get up and glower at the mirror for 5 minutes each morning

tarantula Mon 06-Jun-05 16:36:07

oh yes and then there are the special lessons at Teacher training college. Id forgotten about them

Cam Mon 06-Jun-05 16:57:44

Because they know all the answers.....

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 16:59:21

I'm feeling quite nervous about going in to help him. FGS I shall only be doing simple things like sharpening pencils etc and other general dogsbody stuff.

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 16:59:46

I feel like I should have a degree in something to be able to go and help. LOL

happymerryberries Mon 06-Jun-05 17:00:16

You will be fab and have a great time. We don't bite.....at least not where it will show!

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:01:02

Do you personally like having parent helpers or do they get in your way?

happymerryberries Mon 06-Jun-05 17:03:14

I don't have any (not so common in secondary I think). But I would love to have one! Working with someone else in the class is *always a bonus and I enjoy working with LSWs when I get the chance.

You will love it, and the teacher will see you as a gift from god if he has any sense!

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:04:16

Yes DD is only in primary school. I think I'd be too scared to work in a secondary school remembering what most of the kids were like in my year.

lucy5 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:08:29

It depends on the parent, some at my school use it as a way of finding out gossip and stirring up trouble, others are absolutely fantastic(the vast majority) and certain things like reading just couldnt happen without them. I think sometimes we might look scarey but it's only to keep professional distance and make sure that parents dont think we are a push over and constantly hound us. I have a colleague who tried the lets be friends approach and when things werent going the way of a particular group of parents, she was heckled in the playground through the fence and ambushed in Macdonalds when she was out with her own children.

On a personal note, I find my own dds teacher very scarey.

shimmy21 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:38:12

shh! don't tell anyone else but teachers are just as scared of the parents as parents are of them (and quite often more)

SPARKLER1 Mon 06-Jun-05 17:54:53

Christie Mon 06-Jun-05 23:15:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Mon 06-Jun-05 23:18:57

I think it is a hang over from our own school days. WHen I did my prac placement I was sent back to the high school I had attended as a student. It was very hard to call the deputy head who had put the fear of god into me as a child by her first name!!!

I find those who are there to help etc brilliant - those who are there to keep an eye on their child and to have a social time a real pain in the butt. However generally the parent helpers I have worked with have been brilliant.

Puff Mon 06-Jun-05 23:24:20

My first day of teaching I was throwing up in the bathroom from 5am - I was that scared!

I'd spent 10 years in a previous career climbing the ladder to a fairly senior level in which very little unnerved me.

We are mere mortals !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now