Talk

Advanced search

Night alone in fancy hotel in Birmingham - what would you do?!

(10 Posts)
Rabbitpaw Tue 22-Sep-09 15:43:44

Poor me - I have to spend a night (alone - for work!) in a fancy pants hotel - City Inn Birmingham. DH will have kids. I cannot wait to get in, lock door, have long hot shower, watch TV and read Hello magazine all night! And be woken by alarm clock - not "Mummmeeee!!!". TBH I am a bit sad/nervous about leaving DCs for the first time... but OTOH Hurrah! But it occurred to me there may be more interesting things to do with this time? Stay in? Go out? Anyone know Birmingham? Been to this hotal? Suggestions?!

HidingFromTheDM Tue 22-Sep-09 15:45:10

Oh stay in for sure!! Long hot soak in the tub, order room service and a soppy chick flick and just relax!!

I am green with envy right now.

moondog Tue 22-Sep-09 15:46:20

I'd go to the cinema or have something realy nice to eat/drink in the bar/lounge.

I wnet to Birmingham alone a couple of years ago to see Al Green (1st time leaving kids). I had a massage in the spa, a glass of champagne in the the bar (Hotel du Vin)and whewn I came back from the gig, i opened a 1/2 botttle of Champagne in them in i bar and had a shower.
Have a nice time.

pagwatch Tue 22-Sep-09 15:48:04

If the hotel is nice go down to the bar have a drink and supper.
I have weekends away on my own and am very brave aboutthis now.
If you tell the hotel you are on your own they will seat you disreetly.
I sit with long glass of fizzy and watch people. I take a book if I want a distraction but never use it.

It is really nice once you stop worrying that people think you are a hooker

BunnyLebowski Tue 22-Sep-09 15:49:53

I've said to DP that this is my idea of the perfect night right now.

Checking in, getting the posh pj's on and the vino opened. A jacuzzi bath and ordering the most expensive thing from room service.

Then 14 hours of sleep. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Sleep........

ABetaDad Tue 22-Sep-09 15:52:04

Knowing Birmingham as I do, I would definitely opt for the night in and do the whole hotel gym, spa thing and then maybe have a nice glass of wine (or two) with some sort of intelligent SciFi film on with the laptop open for a bit of light MNetting in the advert breaks.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Tue 22-Sep-09 15:53:48

Oh that sounds lovely.

Room service, glass of wine, what you want on tv, peace to read.

You do know though you'll get to the room, sit down for a minute and end up falling asleep for the whole evening. grin

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 22-Sep-09 15:58:09

Hmmmm - City Inn is a nice enough hotel but its not really a "leisure" hotel (so no pool/spa/really nice restaurants). It is right in Brindley Place though so lots of lovely bars and restaurants to go to, if you fancied or you could have a short walk along the canal into Mailbox where there's even more choice of bars/restaurants/shops. Cinema is at Five ways or Broadway Plaza - about 10 mins walk up Broad St

If you did fancy a bit of pampering, then Malmaison (in Mailbox) and Hotel Du Vin (on Church St) - both about 10 mins walk away - have great spas or there is a day spa in Mailbox called Obsession which is great

thesecondcoming Tue 22-Sep-09 16:00:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bleh Tue 22-Sep-09 16:08:31

I would also recommend ordering room service for breakfast the next morning, so you can faff about in your dressing gown while eating something delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now